C90/C90T Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:59 AM
Cool C90/C90T Battery

I'm new to this group...just bought a 2006 Suzuki C90 (guy says its a C90T, but the bike only indicates C90 on its side...not sure how to distinguish the C90 from the C90T for the 2006) with about 2000 miles on it. The guy I got it from didn't use it much (obviously) but seemed to keep it up (starting it, changing the oil yearly, etc.). From what I understand, he kept it on a trickle charger most of the time in between. I had the bike for a week, it's been great to drive it around but just last night it left me stranded. I pulled up to my gym and as I stopped and put it into neutral it stalled out. No lights, no sign of power, etc. I went into the gym...figured I'd give it some time to cool down and maybe let the battery recover a little. About 2 hours later I tried it again...no lights or nothing. A couple people at gym tried to give me a push and pop the clutch...no good, although at one time the lights came on for a second and then no sign of power. I assume with it sitting on a trickle charge for a long time, I probably need to replace the battery.

Any recommendations for a battery? I assume I should get the highest capacity battery that I can put on this bike.

I read a little bit about the Stator issues with these bikes. Hence, once I replace the battery I'll probably bring it to a shop to get the electrical fully checked out. Any thoughts or recommendations about that are also appreciated.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:03 AM

First off welcome,new member myself doesn't seem like anyone bothers to respond to post plenty people read but offer response. I'm not a mechanic but normally a bad battery does not make the bike stall of course I could be wrong. c90T is the touring edition which is windshield,and saddle bags,back rest stock for that model - I think that is the only difference. Like I said I'm no expert , or mechanic. As far as the battery replacement I would go with one that is recommended normally there is a chart to go by - make and model or motor. Any cycle shop should steer you in the right direction - an over sized battery should not be needed - my opinion only. Hope this helps good luck.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:17 AM

After thinking a bit these bikes have electronic fuel pump I guess a bad battery could cause the bike to stall - best to consult a mechanic maybe if problem is not fixed after battery replacement.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:59 AM

you should buy the original FTZ16-BS-1 because it have 18A/H the other replacemnent are 14 amps/hour gives hard time to bike... it is like 10$ more than replacement

replacemnent are YTX16-BS-1 fit's but not very good to low amp/h

Old 04-07-2017, 10:28 AM

I had a hard time finding an 18ah battery. Seems like even the $100+ batteries I found were only 14ah. It's hard to pay > $100 for a battery with 18ah when you can get a 14ah for half the price. I bought one for $50 with 14ah and 220cca (cold cranking amps, which is what you're most interested in) ah = amp hours and is how many hours the battery will provide power to a 1amp draw.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:44 PM
Default what was the resolution to Cubiclemans problem?

The same thing happened to me a few days ago.

Originally Posted by cubicleman
I'm new to this group...just bought a 2006 Suzuki C90 (guy says its a C90T, but the bike only indicates C90 on its side...not sure how to distinguish the C90 from the C90T for the 2006) with about 2000 miles on it. The guy I got it from didn't use it much (obviously) but seemed to keep it up (starting it, changing the oil yearly, etc.). From what I understand, he kept it on a trickle charger most of the time in between. I had the bike for a week, it's been great to drive it around but just last night it left me stranded. I pulled up to my gym and as I stopped and put it into neutral it stalled out. No lights, no sign of power, etc. I went into the gym...figured I'd give it some time to cool down and maybe let the battery recover a little. About 2 hours later I tried it again...no lights or nothing. A couple people at gym tried to give me a push and pop the clutch...no good, although at one time the lights came on for a second and then no sign of power. I assume with it sitting on a trickle charge for a long time, I probably need to replace the battery.

Any recommendations for a battery? I assume I should get the highest capacity battery that I can put on this bike.

I read a little bit about the Stator issues with these bikes. Hence, once I replace the battery I'll probably bring it to a shop to get the electrical fully checked out. Any thoughts or recommendations about that are also appreciated.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:22 PM

If that battery is more that 3 years old, even sitting on a trickle charger, it is likely bad.
I'm not absolutely sure but think the fuel pump runs off of battery (think about startup)
So, if the battery is weak, the stator alone probably can't keep the things (headlight, tail light, fuel pump) going.
There was a time frame there with bad voltage regulators. There was a recall. Bad thing about that they recalled by VIN number even when the same regulator part number was used in a big VIN range. (had a C50 in that situation)
I'll add,, for some strange reason the C90 was really particular about the battery cables being tight.
Screwdriver tight is not good enough. Use a 10mm and tighten good. Don't strip but tighten good.
I've had mine start, run down the road for 10 - 15 miles all fine. Turn off and it won't start back.
almost like the cable can run the lights and charge the battery (some) but not turn the starter.
I had a C90. Bought with a windshield, luggage rack and passenger backrest. Added saddle bags. So, I essentially wound up with a C90T
I talked to a few fellas at rallies saying theirs were C90T. If my memory serves me right the side panel had C90T on it.
You can probably find out for sure using the VIN.

The replacement battery,, I used one on a C50 and one on my C90 both off Ebay. 16AH (YTX16-BS-1) gell cell (about $50) and never had a problem.
AH is how many amps a fully charged battery will deliver for one hour. So, if all you're doing is starting the bike there should not be a problem. Unless,,,,, the bike doesn't start right up.

Hope all that helps. I enjoyed my C90. Put lots of miles on it. Bought with 3500ish miles to see if I still liked to ride. Sold it with about 26,000 miles 2 years later.
The only time it let me down was the time the battery cables were not tight enough.

The C90 was the first bike I owned since a Honda CB 360 in the late 70's. Kept it 2 years then upgraded to a Harley Road King Standard.