General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ticking noise and excess vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Default Ticking noise and excess vibration

Purchased my C50 August 07. After my 600 mile service I noticed a ticking noise coming from around the engine. Noise is at idle as well as crusing. With helmit the noise is really annoying, so much I really do not want to ride to far. Vibration is also just as annoying. Trip of around 30 miles my legs feel like they are asleep when I stop and get off. Have taken the bike to two different dealers and both give the same answer. This is normal. My question to them is if this is normal how come know one else is having this problem. Is anyone else experiencing this excess noise and vibration.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Default excessive vibration

I own a 2005 c 90T and I have the vibration and noise.I've had it checked a dealer and they can't tell me what the problem is.On excelleration the vibration makes the windshields pop and the studs on the bags and seat rattle and sing. I think that the engine noise is just Suzuki..Custom exhaust will help cover the noise.The charging system issue was resolved on mine..I had to replace the stator at 20,000 miles. I hard wired the stator and eliminated the plug in connector where I was finding build up of corrosion .as far as the noise goes, I'm learning to live with it.I ride the hell out of mine and had no more problems

Old 09-20-2014, 04:53 AM

Nice post. I like it. Thanks for sharing these information. Keep it up.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:18 PM

Ticking noise could be from the timing chain and guide. As you said you can only heard the sound in idle mode.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by pitch458
Purchased my C50 August 07. After my 600 mile service I noticed a ticking noise coming from around the engine. Noise is at idle as well as crusing. With helmit the noise is really annoying, so much I really do not want to ride to far. Vibration is also just as annoying. Trip of around 30 miles my legs feel like they are asleep when I stop and get off. Have taken the bike to two different dealers and both give the same answer. This is normal. My question to them is if this is normal how come know one else is having this problem. Is anyone else experiencing this excess noise and vibration.
Ticking noise could be your valve adjusters, if yours doesn't have hydraulic lifters. Those aren't hard to do, if you are handy with tools.

C50 is 800 cc's and at highway speeds your RPMs are up due to the lower horsepower. 800 cc's can cruise, but the higher RPM levels and vibration make riding more tiring. Is your engine hard mount (without rubber isolators) to the frame? Can't say specifically but it wouldn't surprise me if you are only 1,500 RPM from redline at 75 MPH. This is why some bikers move up to something over 1,000 cc's. RPM's are reduced and there is more power to pass, plus less engine vibration, less tiring to ride.

My 2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII is turning about 3,500 RPM at 75 MPH. Being 4 cylinders with 4 carburetors, engine runs with turbine like smoothness. Plus, it has true cruise control, I set it and it maintains speed. It's like riding in a convertible with the top down. Turn the radio on and listen to the 4 speakers, I'm in tall cotton.

Vibrations were one of the complaints about Harley Davidson Sportsters earlier than 2004, AFAIK. They added rubber motor mounts like on their bigger bikes, that tamed it.

If you intend to keep your bike, you may want to invest in a custom gel seat. I put an S40 pillow gel seat on a previous ride, my 1987 LS650 Savage, which made long distance travel more comfortable. It was running about 5,200 RPM at 75 MPH, roughly 1,000 RPM from redline. (I installed a Drag Specialties electronic tach for a Harley, good investment - now I knew my shift points.) With hard frame mounted engine, it vibrated. But it didn't bother me much. Folks would comment on how I could ride such a small thing 8 hours to a rally. I'd remind them that 40 years ago, a 650 was a large bike.

If you really want vibrations, you ought to try riding a 100 or 125 at 55 MPH. (Did that on my 1971 Honda CB100 at wide open throttle. Hands would tingle after 40 minutes riding. Folks would ask me how the ride was. I'd tell them it was like the scooter ride on 'Dumb and Dumber'.)