New Member Area New to SuzukiForum.com? Stop in tell us about you.

New Member with an old S50 but new challenges

Old 09-22-2015, 01:12 PM
ADT
Cool New Member with an old S50 but new challenges

Hey everyone! Quick bit about me and the bike:

Bought the bike while married and stationed in FL (former Active Duty Air Force) back in 2007, and have since left the Military and the wife, but not the bike! Originally bought it for her (I had a sport bike myself), but when we split, I had to keep it so I did. During her time learning to ride, she dropped it once, causing the bike to constantly veer to the left. Got out of the Military in 2009, moved back up to NJ, and during the move both rear blinkers were knocked off. In that time, I also added saddlebag brackets and really crappy saddlebags, as well as a padded Sissy bar for a rear passenger. Moreover, I haven't had the time to keep up with the bike, and honestly it's been sitting in the garage for about two years!!! All that being said, it only has about 4,000 miles on it! It's a 2005 with that sexy Gunmetal Gray color, and I also have a windshield for it which is not attached.

So what do I want to do? Well, it's either:

1: Sell it for whatever I can get for it, as I can buy a gently used one with less issue than mine for around $3G's

2: Fix it over the winter. If I choose this option (and I don't mind since I was a Jet Engine Mechanic in the Air Force), I have further questions/concerns:
A: How can I fix the bike from veering to the left? Is it a bent forks issue? Is the bearing just bent? Help!?
B: How do I safely bring this thing back to life? Obviously need to drain fuel and fuel lines, oil, all other fluids, spark plugs, battery, etc. - is there anything else?
C: Are there any specialty tools I'll need? Lift?
D: If I do all of the above, is it really worth the money? I'll be honest - while I know how to turn a wrench, I wouldn't mind selling the bike for $500 (I'm guessing here) and buying a gently used one for $3,000 if fixing is going to cost $2,000, a lot of space for new equipment and more item and headache than I realize
Looking forward to your opinions and thoughts! Thank you!

ADT

Old 10-01-2015, 10:38 PM

Hello and welcome. In my opinion, it would be better to post inquiry in the SUZUKI MOTORCYCLES - Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums. So that other forumer would see it.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:03 AM
ADT

Thanks! Will do