new suzuki reno 2006 - starting issues

Old 05-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Default new suzuki reno 2006 - starting issues

purchased a new reno - like the car - good bang for the buck - is anyone having problems with the car not starting, especially in a cold start , also experiencing a rough idle - took car to dealer and they said others were having same issue -- any input from anyone about this ---- thanx !!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Default RE: new suzuki reno 2006 - starting issues

YES. I have the exact same problem. No one seems to know what to do. The car hasn't ever completely not started, so there is no reason to really look into it. I've just gotten into the habit of talking to and coaxing the car--it makes me feel better.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:15 PM

Have the dealership run a diagnostic test using the program for the canadian version of the Reno. There have been problems with the diagnostic programs for the US cars

Old 04-11-2007, 12:32 PM

the only problem i had started to notic was in the cold or cool mornings... was that it will start.. and then its like already in gear or something so as soon as i let off the gas the car takes off... without touching the gas! then when i touch the gas it goes then slows really fast then goes and does that about 3 times then works fine... only 1st starts in the morning.. but dont have a clue as to what causes it.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:46 AM

I have a new 2006 Reno for almost a year. A week after I have bought the car, I started having problems.

Problem 1:
The car starts pulling left and right over 65miles/hour. I did take the car back to the dealer service center to have them look at it. But at first, the service people refused to look at my car. Their excuse was that the speed limit is 55miles/hr and it is against the law to drive over the speed limit. They also told me that this car is meant to be driven under 50miles/hr even thought the car can go for 140miles/hr. so much for friendly customer service, I had the manager force the service people to look at the car. They ran a balance test on the car and I think that they rotated the tires. According to their balance test, there were no problems with the car. After, I have left the dealership that day. I drove the car on the hwy over 65miles/hr and guess what, the problem disappeared!!!!!!!!!.

Problem 2:
About 2 months from the date of purchase, the car won’t start up in the morning on a very cool day. This problem occurred a few times, but not any more so far. I did take the car to a second dealership, they looked at the car and they could not find any starting problems according to them.

Problem 3:
About a few months into the year, I kept getting a check engine light. The light kept coming on and off on that first day. I took the car to the dealer. They found that the gas cap was not tight enough. The next day the check engine light came back on. The gas cap was tight and not lose. I took the car back to the dealer, they looked at it and they could not find any problems, so their solution was to reflash the computer on board. The light went off on that day, and came back on the next day. I took it back to the dealer. They contacted Suzuki about this issue. Suzuki told the dealer to wait until Suzuki’s engineers could figure this one out. The dealer told me not to bring in my car, and that they will contact me once they know how to fix the problem. They never called me back.

Problem 4:
The transmission is jerking and not smooth. The dealer solution to this problem was to reflash the computer. it did work for a few months, but now the transmission is jerking again. I have yet to make an appointment, to have the dealer look at it again.

Problem 5:
I called this a Mystery problem. Because 2 dealerships could not solve this problem. This problem occurs in the following situations:

1. Driving 80miles/hr for over 2 hrs. Once I enter a city, and get stopped by a traffic light, the transmission and engine start behaving wired. Once the light goes green, I put my foot on gas pedal, and the following happens : the rpm (engine rotation) goes above 3000rpm and the car does not move (does not respond to engine rotation). It seems that the transmission is not connecting that is not getting the right state. I take me foot of the gas pedal, rpm goes down, put foot back on and then the car starts moving. I did take the car to the dealer in my city, he could not find anything wrong, so I took it to the original dealer, and he found that the transmission modular is broken. He replaced the module, the problem disappeared for a week then it came back. I did take it back to both dealerships and none of them were able to find the problem with the transmission.

2. When I am stuck in traffic, the same behavior happens, rpm goes high and the car does not move (respond).

This problem still exists, SO PLEASE IF ANY ONE KNOWS ANY THING ABOUT SUCH A PROBLEM, PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW TO FIX IT IF HAVE SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE.

Problem 6:
After 8 months. One morning, on my way to work. I was ready to leave the parking lot, when my car start shacking once the gear is in reverse. I took my car to the dealer. After a few hours, the dealer called me and told me that the shaft crack sensor is broken and they need to order a replacement part.

Problem 7:
Just recently, I have the following problems:

1. The car acceleration is bad. and the worse thing that if you were traveling for 80miles/hr, and for some reason you let the speed goes down to 60miles/hr. to bring the car back to 80miles/hr is like starting all over again.

2. The alarm goes off by itself. It happened twice so far, one time, when I was washing the car. The second time, the alarm just went off be itself for no reason.

3. You can feel vibration below 20miles/hr

4. The transmission is jerking again.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by orikle27
purchased a new reno - like the car - good bang for the buck - is anyone having problems with the car not starting, especially in a cold start , also experiencing a rough idle - took car to dealer and they said others were having same issue -- any input from anyone about this ---- thanx !!!!
firstly check for spark on all 4 cylinders and also check you are getting fuel to the spark plugs, then check your ignition wire setl...?

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 09-02-2010 at 02:56 AM.