Strut Sources and Engine Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Default Strut Sources and Engine Pinging

05 Aerio SX. I can't seem to find aftermarket struts. I was interested in something better than stock. Does anyone out there know of any source other than the dealership?
Has anyone had trouble with a light throttle ping? It happens with regular or plus but with super it seems ok. Problem is super is too damn expensive on an economy car.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Default RE: Strut Sources and Engine Pinging

How many miles on your Suzuki?

Old 05-28-2007, 10:36 AM

The aerio sx has about 48k on it. It is an 05 automatic.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:10 PM

Have you changed your plugs recently?

Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 PM

Seafoam Motor Treatment for the pinging in addition to plug change. Recommend the platinum plugs for your baby.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:58 AM

Yeah I had that issue too, just change the sparks plugs and wires you should be good. I also recommend lubing your sway bar and shocks that improves my ride all the time. I live in NM dry out here and cold I lube these parts every oil change. Go to PepBoys and they have some shocks and struts for our Aerio

Old 12-21-2007, 05:36 PM

Pep Boys for 05 Aerio SX struts? Must be some good sheet you are smoking.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:44 PM

I can't help much with the aftermarket struts.

The pinging at light throttle can be a couple of different things. The first thing to check is the ignition timing. Unfortunately, to do this precisely requires some fairly specialized tools. You need a Suzuki scan tool (Tech-2), and a timing light that works on distributorless coil-over-plug ignition systems. I'm not sure if any aftermarket scan tools can set the system into "fixed spark mode" to set the timing.

Timing can be adjusted at the cam position sensor. The procedure in the service manual calls for putting the PCM into "Fixed spark" mode, which locks the timing to a fixed setting, and setting the timing to 5 degrees BTDC +/- 1 degree. To adjust, loosen the bolts on the cam position sensor slightly and rotate it. It works just like an old fashioned distributor.

There are several other things that can cause detonation and spark knock. An EGR system problem can cause pinging, especially at light throttle.

Anything that causes a lean condition can also lead to pinging. Vacuum leaks, low fuel pressure, faulty MAF sensor or faulty MAP sensor, among many other things can cause a lean condition.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:22 PM

You get what you pay for. Watch your mileage between the premium and cheaper fuels! If your engine runs better on premium, try switching brands with mid octance fuels and see if it still pings. I continue to use Chevron without any problems.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: lomita

You get what you pay for. Watch your mileage between the premium and cheaper fuels! If your engine runs better on premium, try switching brands with mid octance fuels and see if it still pings. I continue to use Chevron without any problems.
He paid for an engine designed to run on regular gasoline (87 octane R+M/2). If it's pinging on reglar or plus, he's not getting what he paid for. Unless "regular" is less than 87 octane where he lives, it shouldn't be pinging. If it is pinging on 87 or 89 octane, something is malfunctioning and needs to be repaired.

Quick Reply: Strut Sources and Engine Pinging