Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums

Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/)
-   Boulevard C90, Boulevard C50 (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/boulevard-c90-boulevard-c50-16/)
-   -   Extended Warranty (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/boulevard-c90-boulevard-c50-16/extended-warranty-1824/)

otrp 01-14-2009 09:28 PM

Extended Warranty

Buyer beware,

I have an 06 C50 Suzuki. At the end of the one year warranty my starter button froze and would not depress inward to start the bike. I also noticed that the plastic chrome was beginning to peel in spots. Needless to say I did something I never do and that was to purchase an extended warranty from Suzuki.

This past November 2008 I had my bike in the shop for inspection. The service manager noticed the plastic chrome peeling on the speedometer housing, the steering head, the right side mirror and the broken plastic piece under the headlight. He submitted a claim to Suzuki to replace it under the extended warrantyfor quality and workmanship. He said it would not be a problem.

After about a week Suzuki called and declined to replace the parts. They gave the service manager no reason. I then called Suzuki. They say it is cosmetic. Yes it is but when the chrome paint you put over the plastic is peeling off it was obviously applied wrong.

If I replace the parts retail it will cost me $230.00. If Suzuki replaces the parts it will cost them about $50.00 and of course they have my extra $600.00 to cover them. The service manager and sales manager at my dealer are at a loss as to why Suzuki is willing to lose two sales over this issue.

Iam upgrading my wife’s bike this spring and mine in the fall of 09. Instead of it being an S50 Suzuki it will be a Yamaha or perhaps a Kawasaki. The same goes for mine.

In this economy if after paying $600.00 for an extended warrantya company is stupid enough to not stand behind their product and warranty for a mere $50.00, they do not deserve to get my money a second or third time etc. My loss will now be your loss Suzuki.

Yamaha here I come.

C50WI 01-16-2009 09:47 PM

RE: Extended Warranty

well that sucks....i guess there are always situations like this. Better make sure the other manufacturers stand behind their products too, specifically what u went through.

vikingpnut 01-17-2009 07:28 AM

You know I've found that if you don't go to bat for yourself and raise a fuss, many manufacturers will screw you over. I've seen it with GE, Ford, Nissan, HDand others.Also if your dealer had any smarts, he'd be willing to at least take some of the cost on as it's a product he sells. Good luck with whatever you end up with in the future. Just remember, it's about the ride. :>)
Keep the rubber down.

otrp 01-17-2009 10:19 AM

Thanks for the replies,

If Suzuki is doing this to me, I’m sure they are doing it to others.

I think if the Japanese were running the show over here there would be a difference. The Japanese consider it a great dishonor if someone is not happy with a defective product; it is an insult to them. Suzuki America is just what it says, American. American business is, get their money and run. American mentality rarely stands behind anything without a fight. That’s one reason why American car manufacturers can’t give their cars away.

I will be talking to an attorney and probably pursue legal action since it won’t be hard to prove manufacturing defects.

And I do agree with vikingpnut, although the dealer is trying to talk to the Suzuki rep nothinghas happened since mid December. They should be willing to absorb at least half the cost of replacing the plastic. I would hate to leave that dealer since up to now they have always taken very good care of us. Oh well if you want real chrome I guess you have to buy a Harley. https://suzukiforum.com/micons/m16.gif

C50WI 01-17-2009 11:28 AM

but harley is american. If you really dont want anything to do with american bikes, maybe an Italian bike is the way to go...haha just kidding. Oh well every manufacturer has its moments. goodluck

otrp 01-17-2009 11:47 AM

Not a hugh Harley fan (nice bikes though) I was just saying that if I want real chrome most Jap bikes are out.:)

JeffKReno 01-24-2009 08:29 PM

A quick letter on an attornies letterhead can do wonders at time if both parties want to be reasonalbe.
Good luck to you and I hope I never have the same problem

otrp 01-25-2009 08:44 PM

Thanks Jeff. I'll post when I get things going.