Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums

Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/)
-   Boulevard M95, Boulevard M50 (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/boulevard-m95-boulevard-m50-15/)
-   -   M50 for a first bike? (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/boulevard-m95-boulevard-m50-15/m50-first-bike-1425/)

Fear_Cartaidh 04-08-2008 02:17 PM

M50 for a first bike?

I'm sure this is a newbie question but it looked like not many were responding in that section.

Here's the deal, I am 23 about 5'8 & 150 lbs, I just moved to Aspen, Co for a job and now have much deeper pockets than before. I want to buy a bike and love the look of the M50. I have ridden a few miles before and know how to opperate the controls. I am planning on taking a riding and safty course.

I was looking into an SV 650 but I'm not much of the sport bike type. I have my head screwed on pretty tight and I don't need to flex my machismo against every joker that pulls up next to me at a light or race my shadow every mile.I want something that doesn't look like it comes with training wheels. (no 250s)I want something that I can use as a daily rider and weekend cruiser.

Would you suggest away or twards a M50 as a first bike? -Be honest. Is it too heavy or powerfull to start out with?

The other bike of intrestis the Honda Shadow VT750DC but I have a great loyalty to the Suzuki brand as I have been driving a modified Suzuki Sidekick for years and it has been put through more than any vehicle should be asked to. And the M50 has a very modern look about it and the Honda line up is just a little too vintage.

Also do you have any other suggestions?

Fear_Cartaidh 04-09-2008 09:39 AM

RE: M50 for a first bike?

Seriuosly? 10 views and no replies? thanks for the input i guess. This is kind of a major purchase for me and I'd like to know if I'm way off course. So please comment when you read, 'cause talking to a wall gets me no help.

wc 04-16-2008 03:15 AM

well, i bought a m800(m50) as my first bike. and yes, i handles great,and has lots of power.
the only problem so far is that until now, not many aftermarket parts are avaible.
it is at great cruiser, but if you want to ride long distances, you should go for the sv 650 instead. a m800 goes from 0-60 just around 6 sec. so it is a fast bike. and has the right attitude and sound when fitted with vance & hines. :-)

Fear_Cartaidh 04-17-2008 09:56 AM

Thanks, other than the seat issue I've been reading about why would a sport bike like the SV be a better choice for distance? Isn't thier riding position less comfortable over distance? NMc

wc 04-18-2008 01:44 AM

well, on a sv you will have a forward leaned riding position. this means that when you ride at high speed, you sort of lean against the wind. and your body weight is carried by the wind resistance. ofcourse i has to be the model with thewindshield fitted. but then again. the sound is differentthan a low rev. engine. and also the look. but a sv handlesbetter, has more power.but it is no problem to manage distances greater that 200 kilometres on a bouleward.if you wish to cross europe you should go for the sv. why dont you ask a dealer to let you try both bikes.

Fear_Cartaidh 04-20-2008 08:01 PM

I gotcha. I'm hailing from the states though, touring Europe would be great but I'll try on train beforeI freight a bike across the pond. NMc

Fear_Cartaidh 05-10-2008 02:23 PM

Dig it. just put cash down on a used 07 black M50. Should have everything worked out in two weeks. I'm so jazzed. NMc

vikingpnut 05-11-2008 10:30 AM

;)Bought my 2005 m504 months ago and love it. My first bike last year was a Kymco venox 250, nice bike but under powered for my size and mtns. As far as the m50 as a 1st bike, if you stay off the throttle, ride intelligent and practice cornering you shouldn't have any problems. As for long distance, I've gone on a couple of 150 - 200 mile rides with no problems. I didadd engine bars and highway pegs which makes a huge difference. My bike also had a sissy bar already on it and I added my "BikersFriend" hard duffel in front of it so that when I ride alone I have back support. Between those additions riding my boulevard down the hwy is like riding a Lazy boy! I'm heading up to Wenatchee, Wa at the end of the month on my bike, that will be about 600 miles round trip. Oh, I love this bike so much it's going to have to fall apart before I get a different bike.

Conreg 05-16-2008 07:25 PM

Just bought an M50 for my first bike. Brand new 2008. I chose the black, yellow, gray color scheme. LOVE the bike, just got it on the 15th. Rainy weekend ahead... hopefully get some nice weather soon so I can break it in! My brother in law and his brother in law both have C50's. Should be a lot of fun!

Good luck Fear_Cartaidh, check out www.newenough.com for gear

wildhorse71 05-29-2008 09:51 PM

Well???

How is it?

Just got mine on Friday the 23rd and just can't stay off it!

Making sure to break it in right.

Added Lucas oil stabilizer to aid in the break-in in both the engine and rear.

This is my first true heavy cruiser....hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine!:D