Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums

Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/)
-   Boulevard S83, Boulevard S50, Boulevard S40 (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/boulevard-s83-boulevard-s50-boulevard-s40-17/)
-   -   RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/boulevard-s83-boulevard-s50-boulevard-s40-17/rust-argh-188/)

S83 09-17-2005 02:44 PM

RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH

Anyone else having problem with rust on there Boulevards? I've had mine 6 weeks now and rust it starting to show up on the exhaust and some bolts. I replaced 4 screws that started to rust. And before anyone asks. Yes I keep my bike clean and dry. I've only got caught twice in the rain riding it. This is BS!

S83

Patrick 09-20-2005 03:49 PM

RE: RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH

have you looked into stainless bolts and such? have you contacted your dealership?

S83 10-20-2005 04:56 PM

The 4 screws I've replaced were with Stainless. I think I have the other rust under control now. Been using Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover. Love this bike but disgusted at how easy it rusted.

Patrick 10-26-2005 02:13 PM

honestly, ive always wondered about things like "stainless"...i have stainless items that have rust on them..which makes no sense to me...

S83 10-31-2005 05:04 AM

Contrary to popular belief "stainless" isn't rust proof, just rust resistant. Some grades of "stainless" are more resistant than other grades. I would dare to say some of the chrome bolts and screws used on this bike by Suzuki aren't even rust resistant. ;)

Patrick 11-01-2005 03:51 PM

i always have the worst luck with chrome...[:@]

zeddock 05-06-2007 09:41 PM

I am having a terrible time with rust. Bolts, exhaust, sissybar frame, crankcase covers. Bought bike last year in May. In less than a year this has happened! I only use Suzuki cleaners, detailing. Take good care of bike and need for it to last much longer than this!

Dealership surprized and says Suzuki will replace bad items but extended warranty will not cover it. If it rusts this mach in 1 year what good is the replacement?

Very disappointed!

Jim Garner
zeddock@gmail.com

Scarab92614 12-07-2007 09:33 PM

do you live by the coast? regardless of keeping the bike clean if there is salt or other corrosive particulate in the air-that causes rust. But unless your parts you have replaced are like supper dupper rustified pieces i wouldnt replace them.--Use some rubbing compound takes it right off. then polish up and all things are good to go. and yea there are different grades of stainless-it means it is resitant but not rust proof. makes it easier to clean off. I had been keeping my bike in a garage at night but every week or 2 when id clean it i would still find parts with rust on it but would be able to wipe it right off. you are gunna be spending a ton of money if you keep replacing parts that have rust and corrosion on em that can be easily cleaned off with a wet rag and then dried right away.