Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums

Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/)
-   General Auto Tech (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/general-auto-tech-38/)
-   -   2001 Vitara JLS...won't start sometimes!? (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/general-auto-tech-38/2001-vitara-jls-wont-start-sometimes-317/)

MJMartinez 02-14-2006 02:05 PM

2001 Vitara JLS...won't start sometimes!?

:(

My daughter dirves a 2001 Suzuki Vitara JLS that on a regular basis just won't start. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why and there is no resulting error code that registers on the system. Has anyone had the same problem and found a solution? At this point we are ready to just trade the car in for anything other than a Suzuki.

grncrdbrit 02-23-2006 01:06 AM

RE: 2001 Vitara JLS...won't start sometimes!?

My O4 Vitara does the same thing. The timing chain tensioner was replaced along with all 6 plugs as vehicle was misfiring. Couple of days after having work done it started happening again so I took vehicle back to the dealer, after having it for 2 days they said they could find nothing wrong. Well....I have figured out that when the gas guage registers approx 1/3 to 1/4 this is when vehicle has difficulty starting. Yesterday vehicle was not starting properly but after I had filled up with gas it started with no problem. (and NO I did not run out of gas - lol) vehicle runs fine once it starts. I am going to run this tank down and then take it back to dealer, last time I took it in I filled up on the way there. I'm also thinking I should trade in for anything but a Suzuki!

MJMartinez 02-23-2006 11:41 AM

Well it has been two weeks at the mechanic again.....so here is our update.

In May 2005 we had the cam sensor replaced and that seemed to stop the problem for a few months. Now the mechanic says that if the car won't start he grabs the ECU (engine control unit) with his right hand and starts the car with his left....and it always starts. So he is currently trying to find a rebuilt ECU or we may have to spring for a new one. The mechanic did tell me though that since the fuel pumps on these cars are literally inside the gas tank that they are best maintained by not running low on gas.

It is frustrating as I thought this car would last my daughter all through college. It is barely above 20,000 miles.

Keep me posted on your journey. I will let you know if our new solution works. I think it might as the ECU never registered any error codes, possibly an indication that it doesn't function quite right.

Patrick 03-16-2006 01:28 PM

wow...im surprised at these problems so early...

MJMartinez 03-16-2006 02:41 PM

:D

Update! The car was with the mechanic for about 3 weeks and did the same thing to them several times. Starting one time and then not starting the next.

Low and behold one day they found that one of the "plugs" into the main computer on the car was not plugged properly. After secrurely plugging in the cord the car has been running like a dream; a welcome change from the nightmare.

We are at almost two weeks of perfect operation!