Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums

Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/)
-   General Auto Tech (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/general-auto-tech-38/)
-   -   Serpentine belt squeal (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/general-auto-tech-38/serpentine-belt-squeal-178/)

Eddielee 09-02-2005 10:28 PM

Serpentine belt squeal

I own a 1999 Vitara 4x4 with auto tranny. I have replaced the serpentine belt twice due to it's propensity to squeal. Sometimes it goes away when it warms up, sometimes it sounds off all day. I know it's the belt 'cause when I spray it with water, the squeal goes away instantly. Belt dressing just makes it worse (except silicone spray). Using silicone makes it go away sometimes for days on end. This summer, while it was warm out side (temps in the high 60's to mid 70's) it did not squeal. This morning, the temps were in the low 50's and sure enough the squeal was back! Do any of you have a suggestion on how to get rid of this problem or is it something I will have to fight the rest of my ownership? The belts have all been factory replacement. The first under warranty and the second by my (gasp/choke) local Chevy dealer (there is no Suzuki dealer in my town) - Tracker parts fit and all have the Suzuki name and P/N on them. The C. dealer said that none of the pulleys are mis-aligned. Any suggestions - I'm stumped! Thanks.........Eddielee

I forgot to meantion the engine is the 4 cyl 2.0L., now with 61,234.0 miles on it..........thanks again!

ShortBuSX 09-05-2005 02:12 PM

RE: Serpentine belt squeal

Try using some liquid soap...if you feel a new belt is usually has a soapy texture, this should help.

Eddielee 09-16-2007 06:04 PM

FYI: Soapy water didn't work! After getting no further responses on this forum, I moved on to a Tracker forum where a suggestion was made to use a GaterBack belt as replacement. None of my local dealers carried that brand, but, I located it on line at AutoZone.com. Paid what I thought was an attrocious price (including shipping) and after cleaning off the silicone etc. from the pulleys, I installed it. After a 2o minute run in, I reset the belt tension to "used" specs and now with almost 83K on the engine, not a squeal! Works for me..............eddielee

DrDaveMac 09-16-2007 07:55 PM

Would you happen to know ifthat 4 cylinder 2.0 liter engine the same one that is used in the Forenza?

Eddielee 09-17-2007 03:48 PM

DrDaveMac: The 2.0L DOHC engine was introduced into the Vitara line in 1999 according to my shop manual. The AutoZone P/N for the Serp belt (Goodyear GatorBack) is 4050650 (w/ A/C). Price in '05 was $31.99 + shipping. I have no idea if the engine in the Forenza is the same 2.0L - though I suspect it is. However, give the dealer a call and ask their parts gal to be sure.
p.s. I just checked the autozoneweb site, and they show P/N 4060745 ($34.99 + S/H) for the 2005 Forenza.Said it was available at their local stores. Good luck!

moody14 08-06-2015 04:39 PM

I have a question I have a 2004 Suzuki forenza I recently had the serpentine belt changed and it is making a squeeling sound is that normal? will the sound go away?