Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums

Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/)
-   General Motorcycle Tech (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/general-motorcycle-tech-39/)
-   -   Trying to Figure out what bike i'm about to get (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/general-motorcycle-tech-39/trying-figure-out-what-bike-im-about-get-5254/)

spencerk73 09-21-2011 09:31 PM

Trying to Figure out what bike i'm about to get

Hey,
First time on the forum
I was talking to my mom yesterday and she mentioned how she and her dad used to have bikes back in the day. I asked what happened to them, she said she sold hers and my grandfather gave his to my uncle. I called him up and he said he has it in his garage and he'll give it to me if I pick it up. I'm 2 hours away at school for the rest of the week, so I can't look at it until Saturday. He did find the title and according to him it is a 1977 Suzuki and that's all he could decipher. He also read a number that he thinks is the VIN on the title 100568. I was wondering if anyone knows what or if this number means anything. He has no idea on the model, only the fact that it is bigger than a 125. I didn't want to ask him to go into the garage and start looking for numbers since he's being nice enough giving it to me. I know most of my answers will be answered on Saturday, I'm just getting ancy waiting in my dorm room until then:D. Also if anyone has any tips on starting a bike that hasn't been run in 10-20 years feel free to chime in.
Thanks for any responses
Spencer K.

spencerk73 09-26-2011 11:25 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Okay, I got it. It is a 1977 Suzuki GT 250. It's been kept in a climate controlled garage for 21 years, and has virtually no rust. Polished up and she'll look awesome. The plate expired in 1990, so we assumed it hasn't been started since then. Tires still had air and almost no dry rot. Has 2200 miles. I checked the plugs and they looked virtually new (My uncle mentioned that he had the bike mechanically restored right before he put it away). The gas tank has minimal rust inside (any suggestions for cleaning it out?). I took the carbs off and thoroughly sprayed carb cleaner in them, didn't take them apart though. One of them was seized up, but with a little motivation I got it to open, now both carbs smoothly open and close with a twist of the throttle. They did have some bad gas in them, but I made sure to dump it all. I put a little ATF in the cylinders and pushed the kick start and she turns right over, not seized at all. I'm on the right path to get fuel and air, but I'm having difficulty getting spark. I pulled the plugs out and they did not make an spark when I hit the kick starter (the plugs were grounded). I forgot how much I like electronic ignition, I need to do some research on points. Anyone have any suggestions/ideas why I'm not getting spark? If I get spark, I think I may be ready to try to start this girl. The front brake doesn't work and the clutch appears to not engage, but I'll deal with those problems in due time. I also hooked a charger up to the electrical system (new battery is being shipped) and all the lights worked, so I don't think I'll have any electrical gremlins.
Pretty good for $FREE99 right?
Attachment 461
Attachment 462
Attachment 463
Attachment 464
Attachment 465