2009 GS500F - Melted Headlamp Harness & No-Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 12:31 PM
Default 2009 GS500F - Melted Headlamp Harness & No-Start

Hey guys,
I'm experiencing a no-start condition where the bike isn't registering battery power at all - even with the battery registering 12.5 volts and with a portable jumpstarter connected to the terminals.

This only happened after I tried to Jerry-rig my headlamp that had stopped working. After inspecting the headlamp, I discovered that one of the 3 prongs that connects the bulb to the wiring harnass had melted off into the harnass. I ordered a new harnass and bulb, but tried to make the bulb work in the interum by connecting an alligator clip from the wire where the melted prong orignally was on the bulb to the wiring harnass. That got the bulb going again, and it worked fine as long as the motorcycle was parked.

The first time I drove it with the bulb in this condition, the bulb went out again within a minute or two. I don't think it was a matter of the alligigator clips getting disconnected, since I had just finished a 2.5 hour ride. After this first attempt, I shut the bike off to inspect the headlamp again. Now, the bike isn't turning on at all, or registering any power from the battery as indicated by none of the lights on the "dash" coming on when I turn the key.

\A little backstory that might be relevant is that I just recently installed a new battery since the last one wasn't draining rapidly and eventually wouldn't hold a charge at all. This is also around the same time that the low-beam went out on the headlamp, and only the high beam worked. I didn't make the connection between the two until recently, and I hardly think it's a coincidence.

As a side note, I have no idea what component circled in red is for. It wasn't connected to anything.

Thanks!!