Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums

Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/)
-   GS500F, GSX-R1000, GSX-R750, GSX-R600 (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/gs500f-gsx-r1000-gsx-r750-gsx-r600-11/)
-   -   new bike (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/gs500f-gsx-r1000-gsx-r750-gsx-r600-11/new-bike-121/)

chrisr 06-26-2005 07:45 PM

new bike

would a gsxr-600 be a good choice for a first bike, or should i try the katata 600? thanks chris

scooter69 06-29-2005 12:04 AM

RE: new bike

as a very first bike with no experience....avoid it....

Katana.....only if you want to look like a girl and waste your money...(just my opinion)

My suggestion...SV650S or Bandit 650S... Much better for the money and a lot better on your learning experince.

Besides..a GSXR600 is only better if you're going to race or go 250km/h (170 miles). Otherwise an SV or Bandit will certainly hold their own.

By the way...a Katana only has 62hp where as an SV has around 85hp and the Bandit is close behind.

Lets not forget the INSURANCE value. GSXR is classed as "super-sport" , SV650S is "Sport-Touring", Bandit is "Touring". I'm 24 with a Bandit 1200 and I pay $430/yr full coverage with $250 deductable....a GSXR was $2400 + with $1000 deductable...

You make the choice.....$$$$

GSXRBOY 07-12-2005 07:51 AM

I recently got a GSX-R600 and its my first bike. I love the thing!

It's all a matter of respect. Once you loose it, you put yourself in that situation to get hurt. Now I admit I go alittle fast on it from time to time but you won't see me doing something crazy like riding on 1 wheel doing 95 on the freeway...... F that! I'll leave that up to the experienced ones "crazy ones" [8D]

As far as learning, all bikes have at least decent acceleration. As a beginner you'd probably look more at the handling aspect and maybe alittle bit of a lighter bike. Also, wether you get a 500cc or a 1300cc, start slow. Don't try to tear a$$ the first day because you will end up hurting yourself no matter how good you think you may be.

nystateboysrx 10-03-2005 07:14 PM

For most first time rides, they should get a smaller bike because thats why the insurance rates are so high. For example..I Had some guys I know for the most part and they went out and bought a r6, and 600rr for there fisrt bike... One of them are already dead because of inexperience driving and the other guy, comes close everyday to crashing becuase he gets crazy and does not use he brains.....whatever you do, make a good choice and use common sense.......I started on a 1977 honda 550f and im 23 years old.....plus i have motorcross racing in my background before i could legally drive.... All I am saying is use common sense...I really hate it when I read sh-t in the paper that people got killed on some motorcycle from not using there head... Keep it real guys..
I live to ride and ride to live...
Garth