DR350 Frame lubing system flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Default DR350 Frame lubing system flush

I own a 96 DR350SE that I bought used last summer. I am in the process of sandblasting and powder coating a bunch of parts in order to stop the rust that was occurring as well as bring some new life to the bike. I would like to install a big bore kit while I'm at it but I simply don't have the time right now, hopefully next winter.

This is my first motorcycle and motorcycle restoration, though not my first restoration. It took me about 8 hours to completely tear down the bike to the frame and a couple of totes worth of parts, and another 4 hours of cleaning and further breaking down the parts that I wanted to sandblast and powder coat. I used powder coating plugs to plug up all of the holes for the lubing system that go through the frame, and I wanted to leave the dipstick in, but as the top of the dipstick is plastic I decided to go with a plug, which got knocked out at some point in the process. Some of the alumina blasting media got into the lubing system that is in the frame and I'm trying to decide the best way to flush it. Currently I think that leaving all of the plugs in the lower part and filling it with denatured alcohol then draining from the oil strainer hole is probably my best bet, followed by a couple of fresh flushes until I get everything out, and everything else should get caught in the oil strainer though I'm reluctant to hook the engine back up when i finish powder coating if I haven't gotten in a good flush of the system. I want to do this flush before powder coating.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than my current plan?