Two right cylinders don't work? - no low an mid-range torque, please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Default Two right cylinders don't work? - no low an mid-range torque, please help

Hello guys and gals. I hope someone can help me out here as I'm quite stressed.

As of today I am a proud owner of a 2000 Bandit GSF600S. I'm also confused and frustrated. I bought a bike from an older gentleman, who said that he always pampered the bike, garaged it, etc etc. Visually, the bike is in almost showroom, immaculate condition. It only has 4500 miles on the clock. The previous owner said that he only used it on the weekends and whenever he winterized it he always drained the carbs by running the bike until there was no more fuel in the carbs, then put stabil in the gas tank and also connected the battery to some kind of charger that kept the battery charged all winter long.

Long story short, I picked up the bike today for $1760. It even smells like a new bike. Rode it back home about 70 miles. Here is my experience, my concerns and fears Please bear with me, Ill try to explain everything in simple but detailed form.

1. I noticed right away that the bike had virtually no low and no mid-range torque. It pulled like a 150cc scooter. At red lights I had to rev the engine really high just to pull out. Otherwise, bike would stall or make clicking engine noise when it's usually in higher gear and doesn't have enough power to pull and you need to switch the gear down.

2. Mid-range power was practically absent. Somewhere from 2,000 rpm to 5,500 rpm the bike would be lifeless. I had to open up the throttle all the way and bike would accelerate, at first slowly and then when reaching 5,000rpm and above it would appear to have much better torque. I was able to cruise from 70 to 100 mph very easily and in higher rpm it didn't seam to have that much hesitation as in lower rpm and had seemingly more noticeable torque.

3. When I stopped for the first time after a 10 minutes ride on the highway to put some gas, the engine just died. I started the bike againa dn the RPM needle seemed to be below 1,000. Then the engine died again. I fiddled with the carburetor **** that regulates RPM (sorry don't know what it's called) and that seemed to raise the RPM above 1,200. That kept the engine alive, but as soon as I revved the engine the needle got stuck around 2,500 rpm and didn't want to come down. I fiddled with the **** again and the needle dropped sharply to around 1,100 / 1,200 rpms. I had to repeat this entire procude 2-3 times during my ride back, as I kept kept stopping after a high speed highway ride to check how the engine would respond. Finally, the bike wouldn't that easily, but now if I rev the engine in neutral the needle seems to get stuck around 2,200-2,400 zone and then slowly come down to 1,100 after several seconds.

4. When idling needle jumps ever so slightly and subtly from 1,100 to around 1,200 or slightly higher.

5. Also, when riding on the highway, I noticed very subtle and slight variation in speed. It felt like sometimes the bike would accelerate slightly (very slightly) and then resume the normal speed. It was very subtle, but I noticed nevertheless.

Well, this is pretty much all I got from my ride home. When I arrived home, I checked the exhaust header pipes. Two left pipes were VERY hot, like one would expect them to be after an hour of highway riding. But, the two right ones were NOT. They were quite warm to be exact but nowhere near hot. I thought to myself that that could explain some or all of the other problems I was experiencing, but what does it really mean to me? Does it mean that the two right carbs are not getting enough gas, because the carbs need to be cleaned? Does it mean they are just dead for whatever reason? Could it be spark plugs? Could it be the Soviet spies messing with my bike or the previous owner simply screwed me?

I'm so frustrated and depressed. After many months of search I thought I found an ideal bike and an ideal deal. I saved up money and now I don't think I will have enough money to fix anything serious. Guess it's true when they, If it's too good to be true, then it's not true.

My question is, do I kill myself now or is there some hope?

Thank you very much for your advice and time.