oil preference????

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Default oil preference????

right now I have valvoline 10w-40. And does anyone notice any engine noise? Thinking of switching to synthetic to see the difference...if any I know to not use "energy conserving" oils also....any opinions??? thanks for any info.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Default RE: oil preference????

I have a 2005 C90. I have always been a fan of Valvoline and I installed it in my C90. I definitley have noticed added
engine noise. I am switching to Castrol Motorcycle 20W50 (the Valvoline was 10W40). I was advised not to use synthetic oil
since the C90 has a "wet" clutch - you may want to check this out before using synthetic on your C50.
Good luck!

Old 07-11-2006, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the info...I think I will switch to valvoline 20w-50 next time.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Jaw

What ever oil that you use make sure that it is for motorbikes.
And not for autos. The API rating should be SG or SF.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Jaw

What kind of engine noise do you have?
My C90 had what I thought was A rattle in the engine.
In first gear at 15 mpg rattle
2nd gear at 25 mph rattle.
3rd gear at 35 mpg rattle.
The noise was slowly getting louder.
I told my brother that I thought that the valve train
or cam chain was rattlin, He said let me hear it.
In neutral I raised up the throutle untill we hear the noise.
Only at certin engine rpms could it be heard.
By chance I put my hand on the left side cover under below the seat.
Rattle went away. slot in cover where it fits to frame needed a little silicone to fix it.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Jaw

Royal purple Maxcycle.
400 times the film, best oil made by man, with gods help.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:21 PM

About the engine noise. I talked to my dealer several times about the engine noise and he tells me that it's due to the fuel injection systems. I didn't make alot of sence to me so I talked him into letting me drop it off for a couple of days to start it cold, test ride it at different temps. and so on. After all that we did a side by side and it turns out there pretty noisey engines and thats about it. I'm using Valvoline as well and have used it in all of my vehicles for years so I'm not on board with the oil being the problem.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:24 PM

I use rottella 5w40 synthetic in my c50. These engines are normally a little noisey. They have solid lifters so the tick noise is normal.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:40 PM

Many people think that its ok to add regular motor oil to your bike, but you need to get motorcycle specified oil. car oil has too many additives to it some of which can cause the oil to foam which can create real problems with a wet clutch system. There are synthetic oils out there that are for wet clutch bikes, if you want to go synth. I would recomend you use one that a manufacturer brands like suzuki V-twin synth. oil or 4-cycle symth racing oil. I am a mechanic and i use synth. in my 06C50 Customw/ wet clutch and the bike runs fine. You don't want to use synth. for a car though because they are made differently and havedifferent chemicals which would interfer with your clutch. So whether you go synth. or regular remember to use only oil specifiedfor motorcycles, i know they cost more but a few bucks is worth it comparedto the cost of a new motor. Oil is the life of the bike,keep the oil fresh and I personally change mine every 2000 to 2500 miles. Good luck with what you choose.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 PM

I read that the manual calls for a "JASO" certification. I don't see it on the GTX 10w-40 i put in...is it a big deal? Or should I just hash out the cash for Bike oil and be done with it.

Quick Reply: oil preference????