Guess what? I have an idea on modding the airbox! Original? Not really...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Default Guess what? I have an idea on modding the airbox! Original? Not really...

OK. So, I've been lurking for awhile and I like a lot of the custom mods on here for the airbox and I've come up with one of my own... I've got the '08 M50 and here's what I've come up with: I'm going to cut about 3/4 of an inch out of the edge of the chrome football, leaving the section with the mounting holes so that I can glue it back to the now-shortend football (basically make it stick out 3/4" less) and then use an appropriately-sized hole saw to remove the circular dimple to allow the air filter to poke thru. I'll paint the plasticy-chrome gloss black (the bike is black) and buy 3 shiny bolts to dress it up a touch. Also, the K&N filter top is chrome which will be a nice accent. This mod should be cheapest of all the football mods (free if you have the glue, saw and bolts already) and the easiest (I won't even have to remove the engine-side of the airbox). It's not going to increase the amount of 'jugginess' I have as the teardrop shape will be the same but it will keep my knee from hitting the box and should allow for a bit more airflow as about 1/2" of the filter assembly will be protruding. It'll also cut down on the visual assualt of that gigantic chrome boil on the side of the bike. I'm thinking, too, that since only part of the filter will be exposed that there won't be any need for restrictor plates (a possible bonus will be that the stock air inlet will still be functional allowing some warm, engine-side air to enter which should help out with idle quality and cool weather starts). I have the fi2000 and Cobra pipes so we'll see how this goes... I plan on tackling it tomorrow... Any thoughts?