I am considering getting either a M50 or a M90...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Default M-50 or m-90

I currently have an 2009 M50.

Bought it new in 2011.

My birthday's today and the forum reminded me of my membership so this is my first weigh-in in awhile.

I'm 9 1/2 years old (in dog years) and have had a variety of road bikes through out my adult life; Honda's, Harleys, a couple of CB750 Honda's and a Triumph 650. My favorites were the 650 Triumph Bonneville and the two CB 750 Honda's. I'm 5' 1/2" and weigh in at about 165.

Summer before last, I took a solo ride from Coos Bay, Oregon to St. George Utah to meet up with a couple of Vietnam Buddies: Down through the Redwoods, up through the old Priest Road through Yosemite and down through the desert, across Death Valley and down into Arizona and up into Utah for the Reunion.

Mileage was good as advertised and the bike was a dream.
As I passed through the freeways on the west side of San Francisco bay, I was caught up in fog and rain and wind and 80 to 90 mph traffic....it was a bit unsettling riding through that section on 6 and 7 lane traffic but the bike had plenty of juice considering I had about 160 lbs 0f gear stacked behind me.

During the trip, I found myself helping numerous other riders, (mostly Harleys) with overheating problems, faulty batteries and failure of some riders to have adequate drinking water aboard.

One night on the return trip, I encountered an elderly couple on a remote mountain pass between Ely and Eureka Nevada who'd pulled off on a turnout for a leg stretcher. The kick stand had buried itself in loose gravel and the couple had been stuck under their Goldwing for over an hour.

It took me about an hour and a half to flag down enough people to lift the bike off of them! It took 5 of us. They weren't injured and they weren't injured but it made me realize that a bike that heavy has its drawbacks.

The first motorcycle I ever had was a Honda 160, and, believe it or not, it was up to heavy Los Angeles Freeway traffic, even doubled up.

I don't care to be judgmental of what people choose to ride, but the current emphasis on horsepower is a bit suspect, in my opinion, for highway cruising.

I personally prefer a bike I can handle on the highway, with enough juice to get out of a jam.

The best I've had, in my opinion was the 750 Hondas, The Triumph and the M50 Suzuki......and the Japanese bikes are very reliable!

I hope you choose well!

Notchman