Boulevard S40 advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Default Boulevard S40 advice

I recently purchased an '05 with 850 miles. It backfires when the RPM's are winding down while slowing. The previous owner drilled holes in the plate just inside the end of the muffler, so I'm wondering if this causes the backfiring. I also just noticed that if I leave the choke halfway out, it backfires much less. I'm wondering if I should get the added holes welded over. Also, I'm wondering if the holes have voided the warranty. I haven't visited a Suzuki dealer.

I bought this bike to carry on the back of my motorhome using a class three hitch hauler, whick adds just a few feet to my overall length. It seems like the perfiect bike in terms of weight and power, just so I can get around when vacationing while the rv is parked. I would like to add a windshield to cut down the wind in my face, and a sissy bar for passenger comfort, if anyone would like to recommend the most economical way to add these features.

Thanks,

Suzophyte

Old 06-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Default RE: Boulevard S40 advice

My friend has a Savage 650 which does the same thing.

The problem with yours is the previous owner may not have broke it in properly. I would certainly bring it into Suzuki for a break-in tune-up so that they can adjust teh air/fuel ratio as well as adjust the valves if needed.

The fact that someone drilled holes into a pipe with less than 800 miles is obsurd. You may end up having to get a new pipe...or atleast fill the holes. It sounds like you're loosing back pressure with these holes. The reason why the choke would help is because it creates extra back pressure it self...equalizing the exhaust.

My suggestion...slap the person who sold it to you for being a .... (if it was a dealer....get them to fix it for free...warranty..30 days minimum on all sales)...then fill the holes with liquid weld (unless you're a welder). It may not look pretty but atleast it will run right.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:24 AM

S40/Savage does have a tendancy to backfire. Go to suzukiSavage.com and they can explain in better detail as to why. My understanding is that you can replace the exhaust with a supertrapp and that will minimize the backfire. This is the most talked about subject with the ls650 (savage/s40), so it should be easy to find more info. However, I have never heard or read of anyone drilling any holes. To me that would make it worse. the engine farts are small and not really noticable. Go to webbikeworld, supertrapp, and suzuki-bikes

Old 07-29-2005, 11:05 PM

To all concerned.. In May of this year I purchased a 05 Suzuki S-40 "Savage"Boulevard. It has the back fire problem as well. I have tried to get the dealership to correct the problem. They said it was a common problem because it was a single cylinder engine. The manufacturer of the bike said they were aware of the problem but had no answer on how to fix the problem. After 2 months and over 3000 miles I have decided to trade it in. I have had the valves adjusted as well as the carberator. The last problem was the back fire blew out the gasket in between the muffler and the manafold exhaust pipe. It discolored the chrome exhaust pipe.Its under warranty so no charge to me but they won't say whether or not to expect it to happen again. The S-40 "savage" Boulevard are very affordable and a great looking bike. but mine sounded more like a lawn mower than a bike. Good luck on finding a solution. Even the manufacture doesn't have an answer as of yet.........

Old 07-30-2005, 07:15 PM

I think everyone that has purchased a savage or boulevard s-40 should send a letter to the manufactuor of the bike. I lot of people would get more attention from them then just one fighting the battle alone. These bikes have a defect and should be recalled. [>:]

Old 02-22-2006, 10:43 PM

http://www.islandnet.com/~brclarke/ls650.htm try reading this regarding savage backfiring.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:48 PM

The adjustable needle is worth the cost:

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3107.pdf

Old 05-13-2006, 10:56 AM

I used to own a Savage awhile back and I drilled holes into the muffler for the sole perpose to brake up the look, it had nothing to do with the back firing, I found that if you downshifted or ran a lower gear then you needed it would back fire, it always bleout atleast one puff when you shut it off, being because it was on a odd stroke being a single cylinder motor.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:03 AM

You cant bitch about a bike if you dont do the research first b4 u buy it. If suzuki was going to fix the problem they would have already but apparently the select few who had had problems are not enough to change their mind. and seeing as only 6 or 7 people have replied to this post it must be an isolated incident. as for the blueing of the headers that is actually normal and a cosmetic thing that happens to pretty much alll bikes. Also bitch slap the guy who drilled the holes.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:23 PM

I had a S40 for 3 months and I just traded it in for a S50.

I took my S40 in and they drilled holes and that helped quite a bit but it seems everyone always chalked it up to a big single cylender.

I was wondering if my S50 would have the same issue and thank God it dont!

If I were to try something to get rid of the backfire all together I think a jetkit with bigger pipe might of done the trick.

Quick Reply: Boulevard S40 advice