S50 A real piece o crap

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Default S50 A real piece o crap

Howdy, I purchased a 2007 S50 just 2 months ago and it has been nothing but a royal pain in the buns!!!
Right out of the gate the front brake squeaks all the time ,just rolling down the street chirp chirp chirp,,then I got cought in a rain storm, I rode home and left bike in driveway,after 4 hours I went to start it and it wouldn't do a thing,,,ever since the start is hit or miss,, at night the lighting pulsates and flickers,use the signals and the lights pulsate(crappy regulation),the idle seems to roam about and do what ever it wants,,always somewhere between 900 and 1250 rpms...The choke is required even if the outside Temp is 90F..The throttle freeplay has changed in the 2000 miles I have put on this piece of crap...Anyone else love this machine as much as I do???
My advice run away from Suzuki they seem to build junk nowdays...Sad, as I have owned GT550 trip and a GT750 buffalo back in the day, I also had tremendous service from the Sidekick JLX I bought in 1990, 278,000miles, no service but routine and normal wear and tear, This bike is a nightmare...

Old 09-21-2007, 11:44 PM
Default RE: S50 A real piece o crap

+1!
problem out of a gate:
- front brake squeaks all the time
- backfire
- coldblooded

Old 12-07-2007, 09:13 PM

first off squeaky front brake alllll the time implies maybe a warped rotor? or bad calipers? maybe even the wheel hub where the rotor is mounted could be tweaked? As for backfires hell my M50 does it from time to time and if it does it more then what is acceptible take it to ur dealer and have em fix it talk to the manager or the guy above him if u have to- could be a timing issue or a bad valve. As for starting something could be blocking the fuel lines or fuel filter even on those hot days. And for starting purposes or electrical-yea regulation part of it could be bad or you have a short or several shorts do to bad prepwork. Check your local Lemon laws and see if it falls under that catagory. Dont tell people to stay away from suzuki just because u have had a problem with just 1 bike. Every vehicle line will have problems. if you have further issues on it which are considered reasonable or acceptable take it directly to suzuki.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:47 PM

Yeah I agree with the last guy about the chirping noise. Thats due to the the brakes and the rotar warpage, but it is a new bike so that gives me reason you need to have it checked out. For many of those that have the simialr problem of starting the bike and it turns over but not start, check on this. I found out on my this bikes has several limit switches that will cause the bike to turn over but not start. One of the problems that I have found is the pin connection under your clutch handle. There are 2 of them. The one that is closer to you clutch handle is not making good conecction and this will cause your bike not to start. I found it loose, and what I did was unplug the wire and took a needle nose pliers and tighten the connection and then re-insert the wire connection back on the bike. Then I tried to start the bike again and it started on the first try. No more problems after that. I have an 2005 model and I believe the 07's are not that much different. I love my bike and it runs everyday back and forth to work. Like all people after a month or so we want to upgrade and get a bigger bike, but I have gotten more comments and looks on this bike I hate to even get rid of it.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:10 PM

bought a 07 s50 for my wife last year have 6000 miles on it and it is very cold blooded. If below 80 degrees runs rough down at low speed, like it never warms up. Has anybody ever rejet this bike? I think this may be the problem. I had the dealer check the bike out but they say thats the way the bike is. Hmmm. That why I own a yamaha for myself. The brakes are the same as everybody else says, crappy.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:37 AM

I realize the 1st post is over a year old, but I'm curious how my 05 M50 is fuel injected but a 07 S50 is carb'd? is that accurate? JZSIGNS is yours fi or carb'd? Most of the rejetting I've heard about is on s40's which have that massive single cyl set up. I can tell you though from my experience, I ride all year, the only time I don't is wet AND freezing. I've never had a problem with this bike in the cold or rain. And in Portland it rains a lot. My 1st bike had a choke which really made appreciate the fi. As for the brakes, I've had to stopon dime to a@#$#@le drivers not paying attention and I've not had a problem. I've had riders comment on the rear drum, but using both brakes my bike really can stop. If you're set on rejetting check out youtube. They seem to have everything on there. Oh, the bike calls for regular. I found using super it does run slightly better, gets better mileage, and costs me less per mile then regular. That might help you too.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:11 PM

I got your email this morning. Yes it is very sensitive on the weather conditions. The s50 reminds me of a diesel engine, it hates cold weather. The hotter the better it runs. Make sure you give it a proper warm up before taking off. The bike needs to warm up. The other day it was 39 degrees here in Humble Texas and the bike let me know it was cold too! It took 4 times to start this bike on full choke and when the first to turn overs I heard a slushing noise. This is the coolant in the engine heads I believe that froze. After it warmed up I left the choke on one notch and rode a few blocks till I got on a straight away. After that it was fine.
If you have anymore question email me and I will be glad to help. About rejetting, you shouldn't have too rejett the bike if everything is factory based. That I don't understand why rejetting came to mind. Your bike is like mine, cold sensitive so just remember to be patient with it.

Kenny

Old 11-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Default RE: Fuel Mileage

For those who have a suzuki s50 what kind of fuel milage are you getting? How many miles can you go before switching to reserve on your gas tank?

Kenny

Old 11-13-2008, 02:09 PM

I've had my '05 s50 for about 3 years now and can relate to most of the complaints here. However I will qualify that statement by saying that while I understand what most of you are talking about, I don't think my s50 is a "piece of crap." The only real problem I have had with mine is an oil leak around the oil filter housing. My bike will stop on a dime and while it is cold natured, I don't have any real serious issues riding it in cold weather. I just make sure it's warmed up for a minute before I get going. I often ride mine in the fall and winter (as long as the temp is at least in the 40's) and once she's warmed up, she's good to go! BTW, my milage is between 48 and 50 mpg (a little better if I stay out of the throttle!) I don't get into the reserve until about 120 miles, give or take.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:24 AM

Thanks Methuselah for you response on the fuel milage. I figured one of two things, either I am hard on the throttle or I have a rich mixture in which I tend to believe. When I got my S50 this year I have been getting about 106-108 miles to the tank before switching to reserve. I know that was a problem of the fuel milage and sent it into the dealership for a check up. That did me no good even when I have extended warranty. I pulled the spark plug from the front head and noticed the rich mixture of black carbon, and I check the tail pipe too and it was darker than the left side when I was monitoring the event. I wanted to blame the stop and go traffic that I encounter before the straight away where I can do 65 mph. I have to travel 15 min of stop and go before I get to the main roadway. When I put on my cobra slip on's it got about 111-115 miles to the tank, but soon drop since then. I know that the true fuel mixture needle is set by the factory and plug. I could pay out the nose and and have all this adjusted or try the extended warranty, but they will blame my exhuast for the reason of less fuel milage. I'm getting the same fuel milage even when I had the original exhaust. I will tend to that when I get the chance. Thanks again for you feed back.

Ken

Quick Reply: S50 A real piece o crap