S83 motor oil preference

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Default S83 motor oil preference

Just bought a '05 Boulevard S83 1400last week,the previous owner couldn't find the Owners Manual, but will look for it while packing / unpacking from a house move. So I may get one in a couple of weeks or never!
He also semi-balked at, when was the last time the oil was changed... he thinks it was April / May, and hadn't ridden it much this year (7600 miles). So, to be safe, I'll just change it,the transmission juice, and check the air filter.
NoticedMobile1 20w-50 for V-Twins the other day in Wal-Mart, and was scrounging opinions on selection of motor oil and transmission oil for the 2005 VS1400 Boulevard.I read where the JASO-MAoil was formulated for bike /(wet) clutch/ shearing... and any oil stating energy conserving was bad for the clutch.
Anyhooooo... recommendations onbrand of oil for engine & transmission change. Mobile1 for V-Twins, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Rotella, synthetic,or any name-brand oil with a JASO-MArating. Opinions, por favor!
Love the bike!!!

MississippiSteve

Old 11-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Default RE: S83 motor oil preference

I don't know if I answered this before, but I have an S50 suzuki boulevard. I personally use Castrol 4 stroke motorcyle oil. You have 2 options of oil products, regualar oil that mets jaso ratings you will or should see that on the bottle of oil or synthetic oil such as royal purple that really makes the best synthetic blend. I know because the company started in my home town of Humble Texas till they got bigger in size and had to move to porter area which is up the road. My friend has a Yamaha V-Star 1100 and he uses royal purple and loves it, but takes notice... once you switch from regular oil to synthetic you cant switch back so they say. study this before switching from regular oil to synthetic. I asked an old timer about the difference one day. His response was, son the longevity of the synthetic you don't have to change it as often as regular oil, but take note it will leak if you have a bad seal some where. It leaks quicker then regular oil. Syn. cost more then reg. oil. I asked him what would you use? He said regular since you are not in high performace,save your mony. Regular Castrol 4 stroke is just fine for your bike. I took his advice.