General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'82 GS750T Clunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Default '82 GS750T Clunking Noise

Hi,
I have an '82 GS750T. At rpm's below about 4k, there is a loud, non-rythmic crunching/clunking noise. I suspected it would be either the clutch or transmission, but I removed the oilpan and visually checked the transmission and oil pump, and have completely disassembled the clutch, and none of these areas has any signs of malfunction. I also checked the chain/sprockets and nothing seems to be wrong there. Any ideas? The problem arose after a 600 mile road trip I took, which was the first long trip I had taken on the bike. I had used it for commuting for a few months prior to that. The first to second gear shift had gotten progressively more rough, to the point that sometimes it would not shift until I tried several times. I figured the transmission was having problems (this was my first bike so I had to learn now to use a clutch and not shift roughly), but it passed my visual inspection. The noise sounds as though there is a lose part that is getting tossed around inside the engine by a part that rotates with the engine rpm's. If anybody has any ideas I would really appreciate it!

Old 09-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Default RE: '82 GS750T Clunking Noise

Hi Mr. jonp84,

A couple of things come to mind. First would be the front drive sprocket. Make sure the nut hasn't loosened up causing the sprocket to jump around. Another thought is the rotor under the left side cover, where the stator is located. Sometimes the nut can come loose on it too. One more thought would be a loose cam chain. Use the old "screwdriver in the ear" trick to try and pinpoint the noise. Checkout my website (link in sig) and feel free to visit the forum at <http://www.thegsresources.com>. Those guys know these bikes like the back of their hand. Unfortunately, the forum is down for maintenance for a little while, but it should be back up soon.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff