General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 Bandit 400 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Default 91 Bandit 400 Issue

Hi, I just bought this 1991 Bandit with 11,000 miles on it. When I test rode the bike before buying it, it had this thing where it would occasionally turn itself off when pulling in the clutch. The motor would go down to a very low rpm, sputter for a second, then die. I assumed it was a dirty carburetor (or 4) lol, and it only did it once in about 20 minutes, so I bought it.

Driving it home, it started up quickly and idled smoothly, about 2 miles down the road, I realized I had the throttle open a lot more than it should have been to maintain speed, and eventually, I lost a lot of speed, so I pulled the clutch lever, and the motor fell onto its face. I was able to get it started after about 10 minutes of it sitting there and tapping on the carbs, and rode it for a couple more miles. Same thing.

I finally got it home this morning via pickup truck. I started it after pouring a little seafoam into the tank because I thought maybe that would help. I rode it about a mile around my neighborhood and the same thing happened. I was giving it a lot of throttle and nothing was happening, when I pulled in the clutch lever, it died.

The owner had a spare ignition box he gave me, I swapped the spare in and nothing changed. The bike is kept up with basic maintenance and just had a valve job at a dealership.

At idle, it's fine, it'll go forever it seems like. I let it run for a few minutes just to be sure. I can turn it off after it idles, then a second later, start it right back up without no problem or hesitation. Riding it, it dies after a few miles.

Does anybody have any ideas? Tapping the carburetors seems to help it get started after it dies.

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Default bandit issues..

Hi,

i have a bandit 400 too. I never had this problem...I have a whole different issue with it...my bike just didn't want to start anymore..I took it the shop and the meccanics said it should be the igniter (the small black box underneath the back seat). I read you have a spare one...do you thing you can sell me the spare one? I just would like to try if that's going to fix it...

thanks

cre

Old 10-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Default windows registry cleaner review

registry cleaner compare abexo registry cleaner gpl registry cleaner cleaner computer fix svchost exe error c cleaner registry software pc performance fix registry errors ultimate defrag registry cleaning tool window xp repair best registry cleaner for vista best registry cleaners reviews registry cleaner free download pc fix speed up your pc free pc cleaner reggenie review

Old 06-17-2011, 02:54 PM

Hi,

I have EXACLY the same issue with my Bandit 400. I already cleaned the carbs and changed any sealings. The bike works great, after a couple of mile it dies. Did you find the problem?

Old 06-25-2011, 01:13 AM

I have also get same issue with my Bandit 400, I cleaned spark plug, carburetor etc. I have also check the battery connection, but still it dies, I take it to the shop also the mechanic said that the problem in engine part, so help me out from these problem.