General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

bad stator vs no spark.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 10:58 AM
Default bad stator vs no spark.

hello everyone. trying to get a proper answer from someone who would really know this
I have a burgman 400. this is the situation I had

-went to the gym and before going in, connected my alarm + and - cables to the battery to activate it
at home there was construction constantly firing off the alarm so I just disconnected the wires
-came back out bike would not start, no cranking no sound, horn works, lights work, signal lights work, but no crank/clicking
-towed bike to suzuki certified shop
-head shop mechanic said there is no spark but it might be the stator he said" its expensive..dont know what it is. maybe the stator or something else but to pinpoint will cost a lot of money" so basically that got me out of there.

I checked the coil and resistance wise, it seems fine within spec. but yes, no spark. I moved the plug to the body. nada. it does crank now. after cleaning a few different parts, like the start button and brake switches. fuses are fine.
ill have to check voltages but I have no idea where do I check with the probes of my multimeter

this is the diagram
https://imgur.com/a/UtoYOux

besides that, my question isת does the stator have anything to do with starting the bike IF EVERYTHING else is A-OK ? if the stator was bad, should the bike still start?

battery is fine and new 13.02v when off. brand new. just bought.
I ralize the stator wont chanrge and ultimately the bikes electronics will shut down. but thats not a concern. im asking about starting it. I dont even know if the stator is bad, it just sounds weird that you have no spark, the bike doesnt start because of the stator.

thank you all for your insight. cheers.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:17 AM
Default Stator

If the battery is good the bike will crank and run off battery voltage till it drains the battery mine did drove it 50 miles with just the battery but it killed the battery.