General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clicks, Kicks and sputters

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Default Clicks, Kicks and sputters

Hi,
My names John. A week ago, I bought my first bike ever - a 2007 boulevard S50. Had 10k miles. first time riding, not familiar with motorcycles hardly at all. bought it for 3k. Rode it home about 60 miles and it ran just fine. A couple of days later, it started kicking, clicking and sputtering. I googled these problems and found that it had probably been sitting for a while, and needed to have some seafoam run through it, and probably needed new plugs and fuel filter. I checked the tank (no rust) and i did all those fixes and it is much much better... stopped for the most part at higher speeds and rpms, but still not really great.
NOW... it still clicks.. I can feel it in the handlebars. And it kicks (like I just slammed on the throttle for just a split second)...but seems to be only at low rpms and especially at low speeds. If I'm maintaining speeds around 30-40 it will do it a little, but I really get a problem around 10-20 in first and second gear. sry... no tach, so can't give rpms.
Any thoughts? Any help would be most appreciated