Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums

Suzuki Forum - Suzuki Enthusiast Forums (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/)
-   General Motorcycle Tech (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/general-motorcycle-tech-39/)
-   -   How to remove Chain Grease? (https://suzukiforum.com/forum/general-motorcycle-tech-39/how-remove-chain-grease-227/)

GSXRBOY 11-13-2005 12:54 AM

How to remove Chain Grease?

What are the better products out there for removing chain grease from things like your rim or plastic parts??? Any guidelines to follow?

I was thinking of using Goo Gone but I know that can be bad if you leave it on something too long.

GSXRBOY 12-08-2005 06:17 AM

RE: How to remove Chain Grease?

FYI Goo Gone works great! Just have to make sure I get the goo gone off so it doesn't sit there and damage my baby.

Patrick 12-08-2005 01:32 PM

what about tar remover?

sjordan01 09-27-2006 04:33 PM

Goo Gone gets nearly anything off any surface. It also contains xylene, a very nasty health hazard. I've had good results using citrus based degreasers.

Weezee 12-27-2006 11:29 PM

I would use a citrus based cleaner myself, I have found plexas works pretty good on chain grease it is also real good on the frame and wheels

DIESEL 11-21-2007 03:34 PM

SPRAY A LITTLE WD 40 ON A CLEAN RAG AND WIPE IT OFF. WORKS WELL ON PLASTICS AND RIMS. USE THE WD 40 STRAIGHT ON THE CHAIN TO CLEAN IT . THEN WIPE IT WITH A RAG.

suzuki man 12-08-2007 01:08 PM

take the chain of and soak it in a bowl of petrol. (gasoline) since petrol is oil based it will not de-lubricate the chain and once removed from the bowl, the petrol will evaporate and you can regrease or oil. don't waste your money on expensive cleaners... you'll find it works a treat and it also removes tar if applied with a rag, wash off with ordinary washing up liquid.

pete600 03-04-2009 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by suzuki man (Post 2636)
take the chain of and soak it in a bowl of petrol. (gasoline) since petrol is oil based it will not de-lubricate the chain and once removed from the bowl, the petrol will evaporate and you can regrease or oil. don't waste your money on expensive cleaners... you'll find it works a treat and it also removes tar if applied with a rag, wash off with ordinary washing up liquid.

No don't do that :eek: Definately stay well away from petrol when cleaning your chain! It's great in that it'll make it look nice and shiny, but there's a danger it'll completely ruin the O-ring/X-rings inside the chain meaning you'll need a new chain (and sprockets too).

Haynes manual says if you want to take the chain off to clean it then use something with a high flash point (not petrol) such as kerosene or paraffin. I've used paraffin on mine which worked OK but I've by far had the best results using WD-40 and an electric toothbrush of all things, with the chain still on the bike.