General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to remove Chain Grease?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 12:54 AM
Default How to remove Chain Grease?

What are the better products out there for removing chain grease from things like your rim or plastic parts??? Any guidelines to follow?

I was thinking of using Goo Gone but I know that can be bad if you leave it on something too long.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:17 AM
Default RE: How to remove Chain Grease?

FYI Goo Gone works great! Just have to make sure I get the goo gone off so it doesn't sit there and damage my baby.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Administrator

what about tar remover?

Old 09-27-2006, 04:33 PM

Goo Gone gets nearly anything off any surface. It also contains xylene, a very nasty health hazard. I've had good results using citrus based degreasers.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:29 PM

I would use a citrus based cleaner myself, I have found plexas works pretty good on chain grease it is also real good on the frame and wheels

Old 11-21-2007, 03:34 PM

SPRAY A LITTLE WD 40 ON A CLEAN RAG AND WIPE IT OFF. WORKS WELL ON PLASTICS AND RIMS. USE THE WD 40 STRAIGHT ON THE CHAIN TO CLEAN IT . THEN WIPE IT WITH A RAG.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:08 PM

take the chain of and soak it in a bowl of petrol. (gasoline) since petrol is oil based it will not de-lubricate the chain and once removed from the bowl, the petrol will evaporate and you can regrease or oil. don't waste your money on expensive cleaners... you'll find it works a treat and it also removes tar if applied with a rag, wash off with ordinary washing up liquid.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by suzuki man
take the chain of and soak it in a bowl of petrol. (gasoline) since petrol is oil based it will not de-lubricate the chain and once removed from the bowl, the petrol will evaporate and you can regrease or oil. don't waste your money on expensive cleaners... you'll find it works a treat and it also removes tar if applied with a rag, wash off with ordinary washing up liquid.
No don't do that Definately stay well away from petrol when cleaning your chain! It's great in that it'll make it look nice and shiny, but there's a danger it'll completely ruin the O-ring/X-rings inside the chain meaning you'll need a new chain (and sprockets too).

Haynes manual says if you want to take the chain off to clean it then use something with a high flash point (not petrol) such as kerosene or paraffin. I've used paraffin on mine which worked OK but I've by far had the best results using WD-40 and an electric toothbrush of all things, with the chain still on the bike.