General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intruder VS800 stops intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Default Intruder VS800 stops intermittently

I have 99 VS800. It was sitting in the garage for more than 18 months. The CARBS got cleaned and in fact was done by PowerSports. The motor cycle ran for a good 60 miles and now having problems with electrical shutoff and it is unreliable to take on local roads. I am taking the bike for trials around the loop (1.2 miles) so that I am close to my home.

Starting the bike on neutral and side stand is absolutely fine. Also, the bike never shuts off when it is on stand / neutral gear. Yesterday, the bike was running for more than 15 minutes on stand/NEUTRAL.

Last weekend Saturday 6/11

Problem: The electrical shuts off and comes back ON - when I am riding. It did shut off more than 4 times in 1.5 miles.

After it shuts off, I had to do the following routine to start the bike: Put the bike on side stand, shut off the ignition switch, turn off the ignition key. Then, ignition switch ON, ignition key ON take the side stand and then start.

Also, I have noticed that the lights go OFF and ON, when I am getting up from the seat and sitting back; and shake the bike.

Battery terminals (screws) checked - they are tight / good.
Yesterday (June 15) - I drove my bike by sitting on back seat, I was able to ride a good 1 mile without electrical shut down. But, it did shut down at stop sign or whenever I came to a stop. (switching gear to first). When it stopped, this time I did NOT shake the bike the only thing I did is RESET the stand. The bike starts without problems (most of the time) and is normal again. Just to make sure, I duplicated three rounds and the bike does shut down when I am coming to STOP / dropping to FIRST GEAR.

At times, I noticed when I push the ignition switch I hear click noise but does not start. I reset the stand again, then the bike STARTS.

Questions:
Do I have two problems ? Loose connections under the seat AND side stand switch ? or SOMETHING ELSE IS GOING ON?

What is the best way to diagnose this problem, so that I do not mess up anything.

Your help is appreciated.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:08 PM

The ignition light wont come on if the battery wire is cut or if the battery fails. if it lit up then it is working fine.

Performance Chip