General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Looking for advice with a new 2020 Katana "issues"

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 10:32 PM
Default Looking for advice with a new 2020 Katana "issues"

Hello guys, new member on the forum and a LONG time suzuki bike enthusiast. I been riding suzuki cruisers for years and decided to try something new. I love the look of the new Katana and went in and traded my C50T for one. While I love the bike, I have some issues with it and would like to know if it is normal or should I take it in for the dealer to fix or figure out.

Issue one, the headlights suck. I mean, they are REALLY bad, pointing almost strait down bad. Can they be adjusted or am I just screwed when it comes to night riding? This was never an issue with my intruder or the C50T or any other bike I have ridden really.
Issue two. I been following the break in procedures, but after 200 miles I have noticed the engine sputters and just doesnt like to run around or bellow 4000 rpms. And this is even more noticeable when I was stuck in traffic yesterday. I just didnt like low rpms and kept sputtering and fluctuating. I know it is a 999cc four banger, but it just doesnt feel "normal" compared to other sports bikes I have ridden some of which were four cylinder bikes. And yes, I am running premium fuel.
Issue three, ride. I know, its not a cruiser, but is it "normal" to feel as if the bike is out of balance? I mean the ride is constantly bumpy and choppy even on brand new pavement. Which makes me wonder if it has something to due with the engine, or the suspension. I know it is not a cruiser, but my dad's bmw K1200RS never felt as choppy as this katana is feeling when I took it on the exact same roads. Hell, even my AWFUL 2016 iron 883 (bad move, never getting another HD again) felt better on the same roads.

I will appreciate any and all help.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by XT356
Hello guys, new member on the forum and a LONG time suzuki bike enthusiast. I been riding suzuki cruisers for years and decided to try something new. I love the look of the new Katana and went in and traded my C50T for one. While I love the bike, I have some issues with it and would like to know if it is normal or should I take it in for the dealer to fix or figure out.

Issue one, the headlights suck. I mean, they are REALLY bad, pointing almost strait down bad. Can they be adjusted or am I just screwed when it comes to night riding? This was never an issue with my intruder or the C50T or any other bike I have ridden really.
Issue two. I been following the break in procedures, but after 200 miles I have noticed the engine sputters and just doesnt like to run around or bellow 4000 rpms. And this is even more noticeable when I was stuck in traffic yesterday. I just didnt like low rpms and kept sputtering and fluctuating. I know it is a 999cc four banger, but it just doesnt feel "normal" compared to other sports bikes I have ridden some of which were four cylinder bikes. And yes, I am running premium fuel.
Issue three, ride. I know, its not a cruiser, but is it "normal" to feel as if the bike is out of balance? I mean the ride is constantly bumpy and choppy even on brand new pavement. Which makes me wonder if it has something to due with the engine, or the suspension. I know it is not a cruiser, but my dad's bmw K1200RS never felt as choppy as this katana is feeling when I took it on the exact same roads. Hell, even my AWFUL 2016 iron 883 (bad move, never getting another HD again) felt better on the same roads.

I will appreciate any and all help.
When I first got my katana I was shocked how bad the rear shock was, if you weigh around 200 pounds it will break in around 1k miles and be bearable but most people will recommend you replace it with an aftermarket unit. Power wise you shouldn't have any issues, my bike dynod at 147 hp. Also the headlight is adjustable, there is a screw underneath it to adjust up or down