General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New to dirtbike need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Default New to dirtbike need a little help

Aight, heres the deal. I just bought a 1992 RMX250 dirtbike the other day. Ive always rode four wheelers and only a few dirt bikes here and there but never owned one myself. I wanted a bike to just play around on and see how i liked it and i happen to run across a nice on pretty cheap. The needle stuck so i tore the carb apart and cleaned it and it runs like a champ. It really is a good bike and i just may enjoy it. But here's my questions... The thing will not idol no matter what i do with the idol screw but it will sittin there with the choke on during warm up. What could cause this and what can i do? And my other question may be a dumb on but what kind of oil should i put in the case?How often should i change it? and how do i know when its full? I know that sounds bad but i havent messed with many 2-strokes outside of doing a couple piston and ring jobs for a couple of people. THanks for all the help!

Old 06-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Default RE: New to dirtbike need a little help

ORIGINAL: ridin250

Aight, heres the deal. I just bought a 1992 RMX250 dirtbike the other day. Ive always rode four wheelers and only a few dirt bikes here and there but never owned one myself. I wanted a bike to just play around on and see how i liked it and i happen to run across a nice on pretty cheap. The needle stuck so i tore the carb apart and cleaned it and it runs like a champ. It really is a good bike and i just may enjoy it. But here's my questions... The thing will not idol no matter what i do with the idol screw but it will sittin there with the choke on during warm up. What could cause this and what can i do? And my other question may be a dumb on but what kind of oil should i put in the case?How often should i change it? and how do i know when its full? I know that sounds bad but i havent messed with many 2-strokes outside of doing a couple piston and ring jobs for a couple of people. THanks for all the help!
I can answer some of this.

Are you sure your turning the idel screw? I know that sounds stupid but you would not be the first person to do this.

I didn't read that you have set this mixture either. You need to adjust the fuel air mixture which is effected by the fuel you use, the ratio of fuel to oil you are using; 32/1 is common, and your altitude.

The jetting may be bad and or you might need new reeds.
I think I would start with reeds. Without looking at the bike its hard to tellwhat you need. Since the bike is used you probubly need new reeds anyway.

On the two strokes there is an oil screw that is on the side of the case. You fill the oil until it comes out at that screw which is about half full.

As far as oil I used mobil one for everything. Don't go too thick or your clutches will drag with the clutch in. 10-40 should be fine.

I used to change the oil after every 3 rides but that is me. I know some who do it more and some less.

I hope this helps

Old 03-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Default That's just a race bike...

My RM125 won't idle for anybody, the way I like to ride this isn't a problem. Suzuki didn't make the RM class for anything other than competition racing.
There are some people who ride these casually.
I found a good idle setting for my purposes, but remember if you are endurance riding just look around for a four stroke.

Hope this will ease your frustration a little.