General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 03:42 PM
Default New Guy

I'm a new member and this is my first bike, 1999 GSX r750. I got it for nearly nothing, because it runs badly. It has 24k miles on it, so I figure I can fix it. The engine is hard starting and once going, it will miss on take off and then seem to run ok. I started to look at the fuel system. The fuel pressure is 44# which is ok, I checked the injector pulses with a noid and they seem ok. The injectors themselves were dirty. I removed them and found that they spray badly. Thought I found the problem. After cleaning them up and testing the spray pattern, they were reinstalled and the problem was still there. The engine did run a little better. Could have been part of the problem. I checked the ignition coils. They all had about 0.3 ohms on the primary and 10,000 on the secondary. Seems a little low on the primary. The plugs looked like they were fuel fouled, I replaced them, but the new ones will get fouled again due to this problem. I pulled out all the coils and plugs. Grounded the base of each plug and cranked the engine. All the plugs had spark, but in my book the spark was very weak. I would have expected a nice blue snappy spark, but this was almost invisible. So I'm thinking my problem is spark and it could be either the coils or the computer module. Does anyone have a good way of determining which maybe the trouble, without purchasing new parts? Is the primary resistance too low? Thanks Mike