General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Requesting troubleshooting assistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Default Requesting troubleshooting assistance

The rear running lights on my 2006 Suzuki S50 failed simultaneously. Turn signals, brake light, headline and licence illumination all work fine. There (apparently) is no fuse protecting only these lamps, so I am at a loss as the the common point of failure. Can anyone help?

Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 PM

All the fuses on my 2002 1400 intruder are blown. When I turn the bike on the headlight fuse is blown, when I hit the break it blows that fuse also, turn signals also. Has anyone had this problem before? Please help me start my hunt?

Old 07-09-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Chester1
The rear running lights on my 2006 Suzuki S50 failed simultaneously. Turn signals, brake light, headline and licence illumination all work fine. There (apparently) is no fuse protecting only these lamps, so I am at a loss as the the common point of failure. Can anyone help?
Hello, You could start with checking the condition of the lamps, then see if lights have earth continuity back to the frame, (usually the case with both failures at the same time).
Chooka.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chooka
Hello, You could start with checking the condition of the lamps, then see if lights have earth continuity back to the frame, (usually the case with both failures at the same time).
Chooka.
I had a case where that my rear stop and tail light were not working. Both bulb elements were intact. I went through all the trouble to remove the seat and tank on my 1987 LS650 Savage. Check all grounds and connections, nothing.

Then I took a multimeter to the bulb. Although both elements looked good (no burns or breaks), they had zero continuity (open). I replaced the bulb and that corrected the problem.

Regarding both lamps on the bike failing at the same time, it could be coincidental. I'd check bulb continuity first. Then with power on and circuits switched on, see if there is voltage at the bulb socket.

It could be something simple and overlooked. (Not always, but a start.)

Sincerely, George Hostler