General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strangest carb problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Default Strangest carb problem

So I have a good bit of experience cleaning carbs and flipping bikes (a Suzuki GS550M being my gem). But I've ran into a strange carb problem on a '94 Suzuki RF900 I grabbed for dirt.

Cleaned the carbs in a classic one carb at a time manner putting all jets into the same carb they came out of - but...

Once the temp gauge reads just under half, if I try to accelerate off idle the bike will rev, but do practically nothing movement wise. It barely moves and it feels like I could shoot off like a rocket at any minute, but it doesn't.

I suspect that the pilot circuit is too rich and that I need to adjust the air screw.

My main reason for suspecting rich is that the bike starts too damn easily. At 60 degrees I think every bike should need a bit of choke, this thing needs none.

My second reason is that it occurs when the engine temperature rises.

My third reason is that it didn't start when I bought it and the plugs were so fouled that they were beyond hope without cleaning. I suspect the owner before the PO went over-rich when he added the D&D exhaust.

I do experience wild jerkiness in 3rd gear between 6k and 7k, but I've read that's kind of normal.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm planning to pull the carbs again tomorrow and back off the air screw a turn and see what happens.