New Member Area New to SuzukiForum.com? Stop in tell us about you.

New member - Hello

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 PM
Default New member - Hello

I am Lionel, new to this forum. I am new to the site, and have a new to me, 1990 Suzuki VS400.
I am from the USA and in the states, I have a VS800, 2001 vintage. Enjoy riding and did a little customizing on that one.
Planning to do similar to this VS 400.
I also have a Harley FXSTC Custom 2007 ride back in the States in storage, and will be going back there to ride it a couple
of times every year. Possibly a month or two at a time. I am retiring from work with other companies and have started my
own company doing essentially the same thing but on my own. My USA company is very poorly equipped and under
knowledged about work overseas, especially India and the Middle East. Both my specialties. I do the initial new
commissioning work for the newly constructed steam systems for both power and other uses in new plants. Interesting
and a bit on the dangerous side if not done right..

I am going to restore this 400 mostly using eBay and other sources. As I see it, many of the 800 parts are direct fits for
some of the things I need. Both handles that hold the master cylinders for front brake and clutch have been damaged and
welded back together. These I am going to replace. New mirrors will come also. Flushing of the brake and clutch lines
will happen.
Big issue at the moment is the clutch. Previous owner, in preparation to sell the bike, decided to change oil and it looks
like he used a new grade Synthetic. Of course the clutch slips to the point of not moving like that. I have dumped that
oil, and drained the filter and refilled with some Suzuki Oil I found here on this little island. But the clutch is not much
better. I know he said he was going to change out the clutch plates, which he may or may not have actually done. I just
dont know. But I am going to try one more oil, a Rotella Diesel oil in it to see if that helps.
If not, I will need to get into the clutch and see if I can determine if the plates are good or not. Then I am going to see if
I can get a set of the upgraded springs. I will have those put in most likely even if I get the oil situation corrected.
I am almost 6' tall and so do not fit well to the stock peg position. However my 800 in the states, which is not running,
has forwards, so I will take them off and bring them back here and put them on.

Any advice on Philippine sourcing for parts and custom made items would be of help. I will be looking to buy or
get made, a new seat system for the bike. I found a new one for around 450 USD from Cobra which may be my easiest
solution. My biggest need in seating is something better for the passenger seat as my wife will be riding with me a lot.

Hope to contribute to the forum and post up the photos of the rebuild effort.