Electrical Probs with 2002 Aerio SX

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Default Electrical Probs with 2002 Aerio SX

I have a 2002 Aerio SX that has recently had an electrical problem - wondering if anyone has any ideas? Car was in the shop last week for regular inspection, and we learned it needed a new catalytic converter, which we can only get from California so we're waiting for that to arrive. We brought it home Friday - seemed to be working fine. Sunday it wouldn't start - nothing happened when I turned the key. We've had some probs with a light switch for the dome light, so assumed the battery was drained. We jumped it and let it run for 45 minutes, including a 10 mile drive through the mountains. A few hours later, same thing - no anything when we turned the key. Jumped it, and then measured voltage, etc, and determined that the alternator was functioning properly, so we figured it was a dead battery. I replaced the battery Monday and it ran fine for two days. Today, same problem again. It has been raining since Saturday night due to the Nor'easter passing through, but I haven't driven through deep water or even deep puddles. Wondering what might be causing the problem . . .

Update 5/9/07 - While in the shop originally, the computer was checked because the service engine light was on. Tech said 4 codes came up, one relative to the converter, the other 3 caused by the bad converter. He reset the computer. Service engine light was off. My husband (and later the tech) was able to determine that there was a 1.3a continuous drain on the battery, which could be stopped by pulling a fuse that, among other things, sat between the computer and the relay that governed the fuel injection & cruise control systems. Interestingly, about 2weeks agothe Service engine light came back on and since then the drain has disappeared. Still waiting for the new converter. Tech can't find a short in the system anywhere, and is still waiting for a response from the Suzuki hotline.