What's a boot??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Default What's a boot??

I seem to be full of questions tonight! - I'm trying to figure out what a boot is! My car was sputtering in idle for about 4 days - it started all of a sudden when I was sitting in the drive thru at Tim Horton's for coffee and no matter what I did it would stop. It never actually stalled, it just sputtered like it was going to. Anyway, when I finally had a change to take it to the mechanic at the dealership, they told me I had a hole in my boot, they put some sealant in it and it stopped sputtering. They also said that if it happens again, they would need to replace the boot and put in a new coil system. WTF is a boot???

Old 02-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Default RE: What's a boot??

Sounds like in this case, they are referring to a rubber boot (or cover) over the coil pack. This keeps the coils and connections dry. If you had a hole, then water could get in and cause rust, corrosion, and the accompanying arcing and misfiring. If they could patch it with some sealant, great. If there is a problem, though, a new boot would be a lot less expensive than replacing coil packs, wires, plugs, etc. I don't recall a boot on my Forenza, but that could be faulty memory on my part.

I wish we could get Haynes or a competitor to create some service manuals for these cars. I asked them a year ago, and the answer was that new manuals are based on anticipated sales. . .

Old 02-22-2007, 01:03 AM

Well at least I now have an answer to give any one else that asks me what a boot is. You wouldn't believe how many people asked if it was the left or right boot! Not funny . It still cost me $!20 bucks for labour to fix the hole and they figured at least another $150 if they have to replace it and the coil pack. Some sort of service manual would be awesome since I'm having a couple of other issues with my car too! Again thanks for the info

Old 02-22-2007, 01:24 AM

When they speak of left or right concerning a boot, that is likely referring to a boot on the constant velocity joint or where the axle comes out of the transmission. On the CV joint, this is a rubber cover that keeps the grease in the joint and the contamination (sand, gravel, dirt, water, salt, and everything else) out. If this boot fails, it should be replaces THAT DAY, or the joint will fail shortly thereafter. Even if nothing gets into the joint, all the lubricant will be expelled by centrifugal force and it will run dry. It might even lock up. You don't want that.

I'm sorry I can't give you more explicit information, but I am new to the Suzukis and haven't had to spend much time with mine. Yet.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 PM

Not sure I can process anymore info, you've given me a lot to think about and to keep in mind. Thanks! I know what you mean about being new to suzuki's this is my first one. Before that I had a really old Ford Tempo. I'm really enjoying my Aerio even with the few issues I've had.

Thanks Again

Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 AM

Hey! We're all in this together.

It takes a while to build a great forum, but this one is well on the way. I am also a member of the Ford truck forum, which covers my two Aerostars, and those guys have helped me more times than I can count. . . even once with my old Tempo. Among those three vehicles I have over 500,000 miles, and will likely get that many more because of the maintenance tips and other info. All it takes is for us to pot our tips every time we learn something. Before long, we'll have a great dtat base and lots of folks who can lend a hand when we get stuck.

I expect this Suzuki forum will be that good, too.