Considering an 02 Savage

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 05:41 PM
Default Considering an 02 Savage

Like the title says, I'm looking for a motor and some parts for a project that I want to do this winter, and I'm pretty settled on the savage 650 single.

I don't need the forks, seat, tank, and several other parts, really I need the motor and a clean title, electrics, and enough of the frame to retain the VIN number (ha ha).

I found this one on craigslist for 600 (asking price). It's got a Supertrapp slip on, which is a huge plus, but the pipe and the can have a little more discoloration than I'd like to see. Is this a common thing on these bikes, or is this a machine that was left parked and running too long, making it overheat enough to blue the pipe that far?

My gut feel is that the motor's not been treated well, how does this motor deal with overheating? Is this a disqualifier, or is the motor sturdy enough to shake off the heat? The ad says the motor runs well and the electrics (beside the headlight and front blinkers) all work well. I won't buy the bike without hearing it run... are there any distinct noises I should be listening for?

wrecked savage, but I'm more concerned with the heat discoloration on the pipe. You think the motor's still usable?
Thanks for your opinions and advice!!!

Old 04-29-2018, 06:51 AM

Wow. man that's a great bike.