Problem with 06 GV low beam headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Default Problem with 06 GV low beam headlights

I've been having a problem for the past couple of years with headlights burning out. It started with the passenger bulb burning out...replaced that...then about 8 months later the driver's side burns out...replaced that...then the passenger bulb burns out again...and so on. So about a month ago, the passenger bulb burned out for the 3rd time (I thought it was just the lower budget bulbs I'd replaced them with) so I thought I'd wait to replace it. Now the driver's side bulb is out so now I have no headlights. I took it to a local mechanic who said that the bulbs are fine (I looked at them as well...no filaments burned out, no scorching on the plug ends, etc.)...he checked all the fuses and relays and says that it has to be what he called a "combo switch" that has failed since I have fog lamps and hi-beams, but no low beams...he says to replace this switch with cost between $300-$400. I guess I'm just wanting to know from any owners if they have had this problem and is this the only solution? Is this something a novice could replace I'm going to check the fuses myself tomorrow just to make sure the mechanic didn't miss anything there because I'm not looking forward to dispensing with my hard earned income if I can help it. Thanks!!