Wire Loom

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Default Wire Loom

Hello
I have a question.
I took my car in to get a check engine light looked at. I had it checked myself prior and it was a misfire in cylinder 3 (or something in that area).
The dealer checked it out and said that it was and i quote "- NEEDS REPLACEMENT OF ENGINE WIRE LOOM "
Can this be a logical reason or are they trying to get cash from me
Please help!!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Default RE: Wire Loom

A bad spark plug wire would definitely cause a misfire condition. You probably need a new set of wires, which is probably the technical name they give the wire set.Make surethey aren't referring to an engine wiring harness. If you have awiring harness problem, you'll need todo some looking to see where the trouble is. It might be a wire got pinched or abraded somewhere, or it could be something else. You didn't mention model, year or mileage, but changing the wires should solve it. If it were me, I'd probably go ahead and put in a new set of plugs at the same time. You're already in there, and it will save going back and doing most of the same work over again.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:14 AM

Hello
Thanks for the info
Will do so this weekend. Change out the wires and the plugs.
My car is an 06 Reno. Base model.
I just spoke with the service advisor and he just said its the wiring loom. The car was in an accident (I did not know this through carfax) and said it was placed differently than the manufactures specs. Wires are stretched and may have lost some of the insulation.The ENGINE WIRE LOOM (did not mention the harness) is what is causing the misfire and cold start problem in the morning. The total price is going to run about $1400.00. So i assume he is talking about the harness.
Any other ideas would help immensly.
Thanks again for the previous post!!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 05:35 PM

If you bought it from a dealer and this was not disclosed at the time of sale, you probably have some legal recourse. You'll have to check your state's laws and probably seek the advice of an attorney. If you bought it from an individual, you can probably sue him over it, but that usually ends up costing more than it is worth. You might also try to determine who repaired the collision damage andsee if he willmake good on it. That's not likely,because if he could have done the job right, you wouldn't be where you are now. If the seller or dealer won't make it good, I'd be really tempted to get the wiring diagram and repair that harness. The wires are color-coded and you can usually determine the gauge and type, heat rating, et al. from the codes on the wires.If all else fails, replace the harness. I can't imagine that would cost $1,400 in any event.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:32 PM

Thanks again for the advice. A friend also mentioned to look into the legal aspect and ask for a lawyers advice.
Thanks again