Hard Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 07:48 AM
Default Hard Start

I bought a used 2008 C90T last summer And other than starting it works very well. I replaced the solenoid last fall and this year I have still been having issues starting when the engine is fully warmed. I stopped for gas and my starter stayed engaged after starting and I was forced to drive it a kilometer to my home and disconnect the battery to get it to stop. at this point I replaced the starter relay and it started with no issues. But when I took it for a short run a few days later I stopped for a short time then tried to start the bike I couldn't get a kick out of the starter at first. After several attempts the motor nudged slightly then I tried again and it turned a little further after a few more tries the engine rolled and started then ran beautifully smooth as silk. This issue has been occurring since I bought the bike and it is something I want to resolve but the only thing I can think of is the starter needs to be replaced. I'm not sure if it is being caused by the starter getting too hot from being close to the exhaust of if its another issue. Anyway I'm hoping someone else has had this trouble and can give me some direction for a permanent fix.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by RickM
I bought a used 2008 C90T last summer And other than starting it works very well. I replaced the solenoid last fall and this year I have still been having issues starting when the engine is fully warmed. I stopped for gas and my starter stayed engaged after starting and I was forced to drive it a kilometer to my home and disconnect the battery to get it to stop. at this point I replaced the starter relay and it started with no issues. But when I took it for a short run a few days later I stopped for a short time then tried to start the bike I couldn't get a kick out of the starter at first. After several attempts the motor nudged slightly then I tried again and it turned a little further after a few more tries the engine rolled and started then ran beautifully smooth as silk. This issue has been occurring since I bought the bike and it is something I want to resolve but the only thing I can think of is the starter needs to be replaced. I'm not sure if it is being caused by the starter getting too hot from being close to the exhaust of if its another issue. Anyway I'm hoping someone else has had this trouble and can give me some direction for a permanent fix.
Since you've already replaced the solenoid, I would look at the starter button on the handlebars. If it's intermittent or hanging up it would cause the issues you're experiencing. I don't think the starter itself would cause the issues you're seeing.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by KrS14
Since you've already replaced the solenoid, I would look at the starter button on the handlebars. If it's intermittent or hanging up it would cause the issues you're experiencing. I don't think the starter itself would cause the issues you're seeing.
Thank You KrS14 I' haven't checked out the starter switch. I'll give that a look.