probably simple but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Default probably simple but...

I got an S40 Boulevard (2005) that doesn't want to start, it just clicks away. Fresh battery charge, new plug, oil, gas. Did that last summer often but I'd just recharge the battery and she'd start. Was a pain in the neck of course. It's electric ignition only and a 650. Any thoughts other than throw it out?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:55 PM

Bad connection or battery won't hold a charge (or no ummph when under load) and needs to be replaced.
Disconnect the battery terminals, and lightly sand the terminals with some fine sand paper... re-connect battery terminals and tighten.
See what the battery reads with a VoltageOhmMeter (VOM). Even if it reads 12.4 - 12.7 volts, it may not have the grunt to start the ole girl under the load of starting - may be time for a new battery.
(Got a battery that needs replacing... it clicks if the bike hasn't been started up at least every 2-3 days. It'll read 12.48v after being on the BatteryTender for a day, but after 4-5 days it's down to 12.3v)

Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Default Hey Steve

Thanks for the reply. The battery was brand new, having already replaced a brand new battery, and I had just taken it off the charger completely charged. This time around instead of starting right up and then clicking a week or two later, it just clicked. So I'm thinking connection issue. I will sandpaper the terminals though and try that. Some folks suggested the starter connection so I'll try and trace that. Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. PS, the battery costs are $90 each, I can't keep replacing them. Although I can take it to Autozone for a free recharge and check now that I think of it.