Simple guide on converting Sony HDR-PJ260VE Full HD AVCHD recordings to iMovie

Old 02-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Default Simple guide on converting Sony HDR-PJ260VE Full HD AVCHD recordings to iMovie

Sony HDR-PJ260VE is an excellent HD Flash Memory PAL Camcorder. It can shoot Full HD 1920 x 1080 AVCHD(MTS/M2TS) and also project your home movies with up to a 100" diagonal image. And it features 16GB of embedded flash memory, which provides up to three hours of recording. The camcorder is equipped with a back-illuminated Exmor CMOS sensor that's ideal for low-light situations. There's also a 3.0" touch screen Clear Photo LCD display for easy recording and instant playback.

If you have downloaded some Full HD videos from the camera and plan to edit with iMovie, you will meet some troubles like the user "I'm using iMovie, and I'm trying to import the video from my camcorder (Sony HDR-PJ260VE). But when I clicked the camera button, iMovie crashes. Why I can not import the clips to iMovie directly? Am I missing something? Pls help me!"

As we all know AVCHD is superb format for recording video but not a good format for editing, especially because of 50p AVCHD nonstandard format. Besides, iMovie's best compatible format is Apple InterMediate Codec(AIC). To successfully import your HDR-PJ260VE videos to iMovie for editing, you'd better encode AVCHD to AIC before transferring. If you use Brorsoft MTS to iMovie Converter, you not only can batch transcode MTS files for iMovie, also can get the best settings for playing and editing videos. Below is a simple but useful guide for you to do the fast conversion.

Step 1: Install the Mac AVCHD Converter you have found on your mac. Run it and transfer or drag the 1080p footages from Sony HDR-PJ260VE to the converter.
Tips:
1) If necessary, you can merge several AVCHD clips by ticking “Merge into one” box.
2) This Sony HDR-PJ260VE MTS Converetr not only can help you to transcode MTS file for editors such as FCP X, Adobe Premiere and so on, but also can convert these AVCHD files to common video formats for portable device or TV such as .mp4, .avi, .mov and so on.

Step 2: Click "format" bar to choose the compatible output format for iMovie .
Click "iMovie and Final Cut Express-Apple InterMediate Codec(AIC)(*.mov)" as the best format for iMovie.
Tip: You can tap the "Browse" button on the main interface to choose the place where you want to save your converted file on your mac.

Step 3: You can click "settings" to customize the output parameters, adjust the resolution, bitrate as you want. Set video size as 1920*1080, video frame rate as 25fps.

Step 4: Click Conversion Arrow button on the main interface to start converting Sony HDR-PJ260VE 1080p MTS to iMovie on Mac OS X.

When the conversion process is 100% completed, you can ingest your 1080p AVCHD recordings into iMovie(11 or earlier) without problem.

Related guides:
Edit Sony DSC-HX30V 1080p AVCHD Files in FCP 7 on Mac
Easy solution to editing Sony HDR-XR260V AVCHD in iMovie on Mac
Edit Sony HDR-XR350V AVCHD in iMovie & Export to iDVD for burning
Top MTS to iMovie Converter-Import Sony RX100 MTS to iMovie for editing on Mac
Convert DSC-HX9V 108060p AVCHD to 30p MOV for iMovie '11
Convert Sony HDR-CX130 AVCHD to AIC MOV for iMovie on Mac