General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

81 GS1000L

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Default 81 GS1000L

I am having trouble getting this ol bike up and running. I have been thru the carbs and the gas tank is clean but she still wont stay running unless the choke is on. Then it is only at one speed and if I give it gas you can hear the carbs opening up but it will not bring up the rpms. Any Ideas on how to fix this problem. The bike has been sitting for several years in a garage.

[IMG]local://upfiles/265/964008077D9F4653B1F675B4A3AAD2CD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Default RE: 81 GS1000L

sounds like one and or two things to me. either the intake boots have started to leak, or the pilot jet and/or pilot circuit have gummed up in the carbs.

I just resurrected my 850, and it had both problems. also the GSs are really touchy about the airbox and exhaust all being "airtight", the airbox sides and crossoever pipes are both suspect.

Use a small piece of wire, I used a wire from a wire brush, and clear the pilot (aka idle) jet's tip, mine was just big enough to let light through.

Ill try to answer any other questions I can for you, I would usually recommend www.thegsresources.com but apparently the sites down. hopefully soon itll be back up and working as there is a wealth of info there on the old GSs.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Default RE: 81 GS1000L

Thanks I will check things again. I have checked the www.thegsresources.com site out this will help alot i think. I will let you know how it works out I would like to get this ol bike up and running again soon...