General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Black Smoke-No Start Bandit 1200

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Default Black Smoke-No Start Bandit 1200

My 2005 Bandit has been running fine for it's 3000 miles although it sits quite a bit. When going out for a ride a couple of weeks ago the bike ran out of gas leaving the driveway. When I switched the fuel valve to Res, white/blue smoke came billowing out of the exhaust pipe and the bike refused to start and stay running.
After sitting a few weeks, I then took off the carbs (thinking the jets were plugged from sitting so often) and blew out the jets, pulled the fuel valve from the tank - everything looks good. I drained the tank and added a couple of fresh gallons of gas, reassembled the carbs, checked the plugs (looked a bit on the black side), checked the air filter (looked a little on the wet side) and tried to start again. This time, black smoke came billowing out and the bike would not stay running. As I let it sit, fluid came pouring out of the bottom of the air cleaner box. The oil level looks a little high, so I don't know what to think.
Anyone have any insight or advise.
Thanks

Old 02-20-2009, 08:23 PM

Hello, from what you have described,
Perhaps you had accidentally left your petcock in the PRI position with the bike not funning for a prolonged period of time (or the petcock is faulty), and if the float needles are at all leaky inside your carburetors....then it is possible that fuel has seeped unchecked in through the carbs, down the intake and past the piston rings into the crankcase....mixing and thinning the engine oil...and raising the level of the oil. Too high of an engine oil level in a running bike can cause the excess to be forced into the airbox through the crankcase breather vent and back into the combustion chamber where it would be burned with the regular air/fuel charge and come out of the exhaust as blue smoke. The bike won't run right or very well.
If my suspicions are right, I'd suggest changing the engine oil and filter, replace the sparkplugs, replaced your soiled airfilter, clean out the air box, and make sure the petcock is not left on the PRI/prime position or that your petcock is working correctly.
Just a guess.
Good Luck
Marcie

Old 02-24-2009, 04:37 PM

Hey, thanks for your comprehensive reply and explanation. My research was leading to the same conclusion, or something got lodged in the carbs while cleaning. This is very helpful to take aim at next steps. Got all the new parts - hope it works.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:04 AM

I also have source that zenogais mentioned, but any extra information helps.