General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help a Newbie with anengine swap question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Default help a Newbie with anengine swap question?

Hello, from a new member although I've been here some before, reading.
The information and knowledge on forums like these, is so impressive the reading might be interesting even to those with no knowledge of the field.

In case anyone has the time and interest to help my very newbie probably poorly informed question, I'd like to venture to pose it:

As someone small in stature, and , re-starting up with motorcycles at a well quite "mature" age, I've ended up with a very small bike, a GN 125. Runs great, and I can defiinely handle its size and weight. But I can barely keep out of the way sometimes, even on small highways if there's a hill.
I'd like to somehow get more power. And a 250 might do it, and i "am" looking at what's around.
At the same time, if what I read online is accurate, it seems there might be another way: put a bigger engine into my 125. I found information saying that a 250cc engine "pops right in" into a Suzuki GN 125. This suggests to me also , that it supposedly works out o. k. in other ways,too, maybe even suspension though I suppose getting stronger shocks wouldn't be too hard.

One person I'm discussing it with, though, is worried that the mounting might be quite different, especially if it's a recent model 250 Suzuki engine, since my GN125 is (well preserved) 1982. Nice kind of classic looking 1982, judging by people's comments, and that ;s another reason I'm thinking of the engine swap as a way to stay with it. Actually , the guy worrying about the mounting, is the one I'm aproaching to consider doing the work of the swapping. Other than the mounts question, and wondering about the suspension being adequate, he seems to feel o. k. about the idea, and ready to do it if I find a 250 engine.

So, anybody got opinions or advice on this swapping idea? Seem to make sense? Would a recent 250 Suzuki engine be apt to mount okay into a GN125 frame?

Thanks very much in advance if you can help.
Heathflax, Massachusetts "Think Spring!"

Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM

did you get the solution for that?

Old 02-23-2012, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by mikejordan
did you get the solution for that?
Elsewhere, I've gotten some advice. A little of it was encouraging: one person saying that he "knows" this bike, and he's sure some kind of bigger engine does fit in rather well. He seems to think a somewhat smaller engine, something like a 180 or 190 cc one which I guess was a size in the early eighties , on some Suzuki dirtbiikes, would be the best bet. Apparently he believes that size fits with room to spare, and so a little adding of shims or mounts, does the trick. He might have said something about a little obstruction from 'the swing arm" but apparently that problem can be defeated.

About the full 25- size engine, he seemed to mainly be saying that that can be done, but it'd probably be harder.
So all in all, I think I have , now. a second person saying the 250 swap "can" be done.
I felt encouraged enough to approach a big motorcycle shop handling Suzukis, about possibly doing the job for me. It was only a couple days ago, and it was just an email to them, but due to not hearing back from them, i'm already figuring they probably aren't interested in doing it.

It would cost a whole lot anway, i'm pretty sure (to have it done). I was reminded elsewhere, that Imight need a new biigger muffler and carb. Not cheap, I imagine.
In the back of my mind, I might have been figuring on getting back a bunch of the cost, by selling or trading in the existing 125 cc engine; but of coure I'd have to find someone who wants one and is willing to pay its worth, unless the shop offered me a good amount for it.

The thought of having my `125 "bored" instead, into a bigger cc size, has occurrrd to me, but one claim I'm running into about that,is that an awful lot, maybe most, cycle engines bored out like that, fail very soon.. Seems, most can't really handle the attempted upgrade, though one report is that with "a few" one which are exception ones, it's as though they were "made to be bored". If I happened to hear something such as, this Suzuki 125 engine uses the same Block as their 250 cc, maybe I'd "go for it" the boring job of increasing it as much as possible, though I hear the limit at best would probably be adding about 40 cc to the existing 125 size.
"All just stuff I've read or been told' so I'm not saying it's information to go by , by itself.

Meanwhile, unless i hear back very soon from the bike shop, I'm leaning strongly toward either just trying to buy a 250 or stay with the 125. To make sure I'll be able to handle the weight of 250 s==which are about fifty percent heavier than my 125 !--I'm thinking of tieing on a hundred pounds or so of weights onto it, and trying pushing it around, picking it up from the ground, etc. Although, I think the much lower frame of the little cruiser type 250 s I'm looking at, like Suzuki 250 Vulcan, Yamaha Virago, and Honda Rebel, should make them easier to pick up into upright; they're listed as seven or eight inches lower as to the seat height.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 AM

that's an nice stuff it would help me a lot thanks for the post.