General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

how do i test the ignition?? i really need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Default how do i test the ignition?? i really need help!!!

i have traced the fault to the left side engine cover, where the stator leads and im guessing the ignition triggers come out[a blue and green wire] how do i test the ignitions triggering system?? can i make it fire?

Old 02-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Default RE: how do i test the ignition?? i really need help!!!

after much pulling of hair i decided to pull the magneto cover off to inspect the inner workings of the ignition system. the ignition trigger appears to be activated by magnetic means. the trigger is stationary wile the flywheel rotates and there are 2 strips of ferrous metal that close the gap and cause the trigger to compleate a circuit there by telling the ignition what to do{of course this is assumed because mine dont work} i attemted to attach my ohm meter on a continuity setting to see if i could make the trigger compleat or breack a curcuit. no matter how i hooked up the meter [to the wires or to a wire and ground or any combo you can imagine] there was no reading to indicate a compleat curciut. ergo i have to say that the problem is the trigger pick-up. possiby the windings inside the pick-up have a break[they are godawful fine guage wires] that every once in again compleates the circuit letting the bike run for an indetermanate amount of time till it loses continuity again to drive me insane.

i have tryed to describe in detail the problems i am haveing and my prossess to find the fault to assist anyone who can help me,or those who god forbid have the same problem. if my testing procedure is not right or i didnot test somthing i may have over looked please speak up and say somthing, the only way we learn is with help.......... as soon as the new trigger comes in[ you cant just buy the trigger you have to buy the whole stator] i will reply if it works or my next of kin will tell you of my unfortunate passing if it doesnt...............