General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

NEED HELP with GSX-R 750 in a bad way

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Default NEED HELP with GSX-R 750 in a bad way

i recently purchased my first bike ,and i knew i was getting in to a project when i got it. my problem is the bike has a miss and it wont idel on its own. i changed the sparkplugs ,and they were gas fowled,two more so than the other, it started easier but still the same problem . i took it for a ride around the block and the ride was so ruff it was not as enjoyable as i thought it would be. i kept it in first gear and at a low rpm , it was just really ruff but smoothed out when i gased on it .
my bike is a 1990 model if that helps any. my question is. where do i start first? if anyonehas had the same problems input would be greatly appreciated .

Old 03-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Default RE: NEED HELP with GSX-R 750 in a bad way

ok, have looked at the specs for this bike and its Digital/transistorized ignition with fuel injection. My first thought would be to check the ignition system, particularly the coil and ht leads, take the suppressor cap(bit that connects to your spark plug) and check that you get a blue spark when holding the wire end 3/4 inch away from a good ground point on the bike. If it doesnt jump this distance you could be looking at possibly a faulty coil, you could also check the coils with a mulitmeter.

As far as the ignition, special diagnostic equipment may be needed to test it.

Same with the fuel injection, specilist tools are required to set up the injection, it may need to be calibrated. Check the oxygen sensor but i would imagine that would effect all cylinders, there may be other sensors but not familiar with injection.

If all of these items check out fine, i would then look at compression test on each cylinder.

You could try running some red ex through the fuel, will clean out all the valves and the injection system.

So to sum up, check coils and leads, ignition and fuel injection.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Default RE: NEED HELP with GSX-R 750 in a bad way

thank you for the insight and i will check those palces first . but my bike is carburated and not fuel injected , but i will have the carbs checked out cause i know nothing about the carbs.