General Motorcycle Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Won't start any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Default Won't start any ideas?

I just bought a 2002 suzuki bandit GSF1200 yesterday. Things worked fine on my way home it has just over 10K miles now. It had a tedency of stalling on me whenever I try to leave from a stop, haven't gotten the clutching down yet. Anyways I took it for a ride this morning stalled it about 5 times on a 2 mile ride, basically every red light and stop sign I came to a complete stop at. Then about a half hour later I went to go out again started up fine stalled once on the take off, but then got it right the second time. I got to the stop sign at the end of the street and stalled it again, about three times in a row. However when I went to restart it it wouldn't start it just makes a whiring sound, kinda like when a vacuume is running. I tried to jump start the battery but to no success. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem can be? oh yeah I am a novice rider don't know if it would contribute to the problem but when I stalled it I restarted it in first gear with the clutch pressed in. I was told I had to push in the clutch when I want to hit the break and come to a complete stop and can't seem to find the sweet spot for taking off afterwords. It was only my fourth ride on the bike ever. Anyone have any ideas as to things I can check and try before I end up just calling a shop to pick it up and diagnose it and go broke? Thanks for the time and any help you guys and gals can offer.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Default RE: Won't start any ideas?

Ok I since went out there and messed with it alittle more. I know where the whirrring sound is coming from now its the silver colored cylinder that attaches to the bottom portion of the engine, starter I think. I since did some looking and the whiring sound is coming from the alternator the relay clicks once then the alterntor makes the same sound as a running vacuume but it doesn't start. ( at least I think thats what that silver cylinder is)

Old 08-04-2007, 02:21 AM

Hi, silver cylinder is tarter motor. If this is whirring, but the motor isn't turning, then it sounds like the starter clutch is playing up. When it was running k, what was the idle speed set at? If this was too low, it may have been contributing to your stalling problem.
If you have been used toa bike with a cable opperated clutch, it can take a while to get used to a hydraulic clutch, as the feel through the lever is different.
www.moto-tech.biz

Old 08-05-2007, 11:24 AM

To get the clutch right, release at a steady pace and never pop it.
As soon as it starts to go, keep releasion at the same, slow rate. done let it pop. Thats what stalls it

Old 08-08-2007, 10:47 AM

I had a friend look at it and thats exactly what it was. Seems the bolt that holds on the starter clutch keeps coming loose and free spinning so the engine doesn't turn over. I took it in to get the rear tire replaced and am gonna have em hit it with an impact wrench and some lock-tight. Far as the stalling yes its true I'm horriable with the clutch but also my carbs are a little gummed up. Oh well I'm learning its my first bike and now I have ridden a motorcycle a total of 4 times in my life lmao. I think I shoulda picked a smaller bike to learn on.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:48 PM

It happens. I know thats what i did. Small bike to not give a rats *** about. Then i upgraded