1997 VZ 800 Marauder

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 04:05 PM
Unhappy 1997 VZ 800 Marauder

Hi all, new here.
I'm working on my sons VZ 800.
He parked it a couple years ago as he had another bike. He brought it to me to work on. Aside from potentially and hopefully not cleaning the carbs it wasn't firing when cranking last when he attempted it.
He and I thought it might be the electric fuel pump which in fact it seemed to be. When i obtained a replacement online that was stated that it fit this bike i installed it after checking /testing the old one which gave no meter readings according to the shop manual. I cranked it a few times using using a teensy bit ot quick start in the #1 intake tube just to assist in firing and gettin it to run
Upon cranking after a few fires while having the fuel line off going to the carbs doesn't the darned thing begin to fire and run a bit. Geez I had to quickly jam the fuel line on grab a screwdriver and tighten it. During that time i found that the starter doesn't stop cranking even with the key turned off and only when I pull the electrical plug on the fuel pump. I've left the replacement pump plumbed into the fuel lines and connected the old pump to the electrical plug and the bike cranks normally and the starter stops when the starter button is released. Nothing seems to be sticking as in the starter button. Bike seems to want to fire as long as its gettin fuel.
So I'm stumped as to why this so called replacement pump which is supposed to fit this bike is affecting the starting circuit this way.
I even swapped the two wires which aren't the power and ground to see if the wiring in the pump might be different but it only made the pump make a buzzing sound when turning on the key so i knew this wasn't right.
Still working on this. Does anyone have information on which wires from the bike connector is which. I have the shop manual but trying to determine which is which. I called a company that sells replacement pumps and they gave me some pinout information with their pump, information I didn't have for this pump already acquired online as their wiring colors didn't exactly match the bike connector. This company indicated that Yellow with green tracer is ground, Blk is positive, red is signal, and Yellow is unused. Now there are 4 terminal connection on bike plug, colors are Orange with white, Black with white, Yellow with Green, and Black with yellow. This company also indicated some splice 4 down to two, so not entirely sure where to go with these aftermarket replacement pumps with respect to matching pinouts for bike connections.
Suggestions welcome,
Ron
Suggestions and solutions?

Last edited by OldieRider1; 03-21-2020 at 11:43 AM. Reason: add information