2003 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 10:12 AM
Default 2003 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

I just recently bought a 2003 Intruder VS800GL and am wanting to put a set of crash bars/engine guards on it. I am having trouble finding much for this bike. I see a lot for the VL800 (Volusia) but not the VS. Anyone here know if they are interchangeable as far as the crash bar goes or where I can find a set for the VS?

Thanks.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:33 PM

Hey Spock, I hear ya. I recently bought a 2001 Intruder VS800GL. Finding accessories is NOT easy. I have spent the last three weeks scouring the internet. The only thing available is the "mustache" bar. And it took me a while to figure out what that meant. But it's the funny looking shield shaped one here:
Amazon Amazon
I don't like the look of those and finally found this classic set in the UK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/194980937905. The seller was kind enough to answer multiple questions and verify that it will fit my bike, so I ordered them today. I'm really hoping they're fairly simple to install after all that.
I'm still looking for a set of saddlebags that suits me and will fit, and I'd like to replace the foot pegs with foot boards, so I'm still shopping and researching.
I can tell you from my research that the VL and VS are not interchangeable for parts. Seems like they should be, but in all my reading in product listings and forums, they are not. That's why I had to go the UK for the classic shaped bars.
Good luck!

Old 05-19-2022, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the input Heartbroken! Yes anything accessory wise has been hard to find. I did find these in the EU and have been thinking about ordering them. https://chopperbargains.com/suzuki-i...crash-bar.html
. I have been looking at changing to mini boards. Something like the Kuryakyn "riot" mini. I think if all else fails I can fab up something to make them work. Have you looked at changing the exhaust any on your bike? The only thing I have found that looks like it would fit is a Cobra slip on. I have seen many posts about drilling holes in the baffels but once you start poking holes in things there is no going back so I am very hesitant about that. Quiet isn't bad but I would like the bike to be just a tad bit louder.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:07 PM

That looks like a nice classic set of bars.
I've been looking at the Kuryakyn stuff, but find it very annoying that the dimensions of the foot boards aren't shown, and they make it really hard to try and figure out if any of the splines will work with a certain bike. Aggravating enough that I would move on, but I can't find anything else I like.
Thinking about these for saddlebags. https://www.motorcyclehouse.com/noma...th-buckles.htm
Nope, not touching the exhaust. I'm a cranky old woman and loud noises irritate me. Have never understood the need to have one's bike heard two miles away, and spent too many hours on noisy tractors as a kid to think that riding like that could be enjoyable. And yeah, poking holes in things can end badly, LOL.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:50 AM

Those bags aren't bad at all! I got a pair that are studded with a pocket on the front. They didn't work as a "throw over" set due to the back seat not going back into place properly but I made them mount more like a set of hard bags and all is well with them.

Yeah I am leaving the exhaust stock for now. I don't want to be really loud or anything I just think it would be nice to have a bit of sound so someone next to me on the road could hear me if they can't see me.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:48 PM
Default Exhaust size

Hey renewing this thread. I am looking at replacing the stock mufflers with slip ons. Does anyone know what the diameter is where the slip ons go on?